Preparing walls after wallpaper removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just started redecorating and could do with some advice. I have stripped wallpaper off, removed a dado rail that was stuck using something like 'no more nails' and cleaned the walls of paste and the odd bit of paper. Previously the walls were painted underneath.

Now the thing is in places especially at the top of the wall where previously looks like a border was stuck on the paint has flaked away when removing the paper and there is bare plaster visible where the dado rail was removed. Now obviously where there are deep gaps polyfilla will end up being used but what i want to know is where the paint has flaked away does this need filling or is there some sort of undercoat i can buy that will cover it?

One of the reasons i ask because one of the rooms the paper didnt come off that easy! I know i could use lining paper but dont really want to go down this route if i can avoid it.

Sponsored Links
You will need to fill it..id give it a coat first to help the filler slick and bind down any loose stuff..

Then IMO you should line the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back