Paint /wallpaper ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am redecorating our big bedroom.

I am not sure what to do in here. We have a cornice, a picture rail and a dado. So the walls are pretty well divided up.

I want to keep the ceiling, cornice and the area above the picture rail all one colour as it simplifies everything else.

The woodwork will be another colour, so this leaves me with a decision on what to do with the main section of the wall and then the lower section under the dado. Do you use 2 different colours or just one?

To confuse things we are also toying with the idea of some patterned wallpaper. If we did go for some paper it is likely to be a two paper theme. So we paper the main wall between the dado and picture rail in a patterned print and the lower wall will be in a one tone coloured paper.

Would you paper all the room like this or just go for one main wall and then use paint on the other walls.

Any help appreciated.
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd say that you're going to end up with far too many colours and styles; you want to aim for simplicity to make the room cofortable, not too jazzy - IMO that is.

It'll also depend on whether you're going for old fashined neutral colours, or more modern styling. If you're going for wallpaper, then I'd do top and bottom the same, but if you used edwardian colours, then you'd put up lining paper, and then have different colours top and bottom (you can get colour compatability wheels online) But different wall papers will end up looking a mess. You could also look at using anaglypta type patterned papers rather than lining paper, and this'll give you a completely different type of look.

You could also use the same colour for the dado, picture rail, and the cornice, and this'd cut down on the number of colours used.

I want to use a colour for all woodwork and then use 3 colours i think on the walls. Ceiling and top section a white colour. The main walls a deeper colour, maybe a purple and then the lower section possibly white again, or a yellow. So certainly 3 colours, maybe 4 overall.

Definitely not yellow with the purple, a light blue of a soft greeen might be better. White on the bottom won't look right either though. You could do the coving in the same colour as the woodwork to break up the cheffs hat effect.

Sponsored Links
I thought the chefs hat effect would be better because this reduces down the number of colours. The ceiling and top section plus coving will be one colour and then you have the 2 different sections on the walls another colour and then the woodwork.

Do you think it is better to paint the coving the woodwork colour so this area is broken up. If so the room will look like this from the top:

Ceiling white

Coving grey gloss

Top section white

picture rail grey gloss

Main wall lightish purple

Dado rail grey gloss

Lower wall possible green

Skirting grey gloss

You've either got a nack for colour schemes, or they need testing, so you may need to do one wall, and then see if you like the effect. If you go for grey gloss on the skirting boards, then you might need to think about greay for the door frame, and that could cause a problem going from one room to another.

Thats a good idea. do one small area (maybe the chimney breast area) and see how it works out.

Yes the door frame will be different to the hall magnolia gloss i think. Still not sure on colours yet.

Just watched and advert on TV for the Dulux visualizor app for tablets; you might find this useful.

Crown have something similar and we are trying to get it going. Takes time working out all the potential colour options.

Do you think it is better to paint the coving the woodwork colour so this area is broken up ..No. If so the room will look like this from the top:

Ceiling white

Coving grey glossX

Top section white

picture rail grey gloss

Main wall lightish purple

Dado rail grey gloss

Lower wall possible green?

Skirting grey gloss
Ceiling down to pic rail all white- not sure about the green under light purple. See if ou can find some colour schemes for the age of the house on the 'net. I find Crown is better for coloured emulsion, white can be anyone's

on the skirting boards, then you might need to think about grey for the door frame, and that could cause a problem going from one room to another.
no problem, just paint to the doorstop on the inside grey.

The only tip I can offer. When choosing a colour from the paint samples, what ever colour you choose, select the next lowest shade.

We have just done our living room. We have a grey paint, and some patterned wallpaper. The grey has enough colour substance, but is not too dark. The wallpaper is a grey pattern on a white background, and matches perfectly with the paint. With the white skirting, door frames and architrave, and the ceiling, it's a pretty good combination. I thibk it could easily be a decent bedroom combo, as the lighting you choose to use can control it nicely.
14946757797241389062525.jpg

The colours are very good, but If you had a plain white ceiling, it would have been perfect; the patterned ceiling clashes with the wallpaper I'm afraid- but that's just my opinion.

Personally I would remove the dado rail as it's dated, and would never have been an original feature.

I would paint the ceiling and freize (area above picture rail) one colour, and paint or paper the wall below the picture rail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back