Pressure drop on expansion vessel (1)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our sink pipes have been singing when we flush toilet or water heats up, I’ve bled the rads (one in our bedroom was full of air), I’ve released the air out of the expansion vessel (I was told at the plumbing place to) but the pressure keeps dropping. I’ll post a picture of the expansion vessel and pressure gauge and see if anybody can help. Thank you

Attachments

• 708B4C52-D98E-4C53-B331-EA3119721636.jpeg
    708B4C52-D98E-4C53-B331-EA3119721636.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 66
  • CE162AF9-67C1-4CAC-903D-7963BDE29187.jpeg
    CE162AF9-67C1-4CAC-903D-7963BDE29187.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Thank you. I don’t know what a diaphragm is but I will post in the central heating forum

Sponsored Links
Our sink pipes have been singing when we flush toilet or water heats up, I’ve bled the rads (one in our bedroom was full of air), I’ve released the air out of the expansion vessel (I was told at the plumbing place to) but the pressure keeps dropping. I’ll post a picture of the expansion vessel and pressure gauge and see if anybody can help. I haven’t a clue about heating or anything btw.
Thank you in advance ;)

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/pressure-drop-on-expansion-vessel.562419/#ixzz6kNhcYFF5

Attachments

• 99A0A494-6A5E-4D88-8151-3506098CD97B.jpeg
    99A0A494-6A5E-4D88-8151-3506098CD97B.jpeg
    328.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 74E825B4-3BEF-41BF-90D8-57AB3520D82F.jpeg
    74E825B4-3BEF-41BF-90D8-57AB3520D82F.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 45
Half of the 'tank' is water, half air. Between them is a rubber barrier- the diaphragm. When you pressure the system, the water you are adding presses against the rubber, and that pressure registers on the pressure gauge. If the water leaks through the rubber, the pressure keeps dropping. I THINK!, said not-a-pro.

Thank you for your reply :) there doesn’t seem to be any water leaking. It’s a fairly new boiler, we had it fitted over a year ago by British Gas and the system flushed but they’re not sending anybody out due to covid. I have the heating on and the pressure hasn’t fallen, it seems to be dropping when the heating is off, I’m so confused :LOL:

I’ve released the air out of the expansion vessel (I was told at the plumbing place to) but the pressure keeps dropping.
Releasing air from your expansion vessel is not good advice at all, which will be why you’re experiencing the pressure dropping. Do you have an open vented system (hot water cylinder)?

Oh really? I’m not sure, I don’t know anything about central heating or plumbing, I was just doing what I was told to do. When the heating is on, the pressure stays but drops when the heating is off. The guy said if air comes out of the valve on your expansion vessel then that’s good so I let all the air out :(

Oh The guy said if air comes out of the valve on your expansion vessel then that’s good so I let all the air out :(
That’s incorrect advice and proves nothing. You’ll need to have the expansion vessel pumped back up. You can have the heating on when pressurised, but the pressure will rise too much and discharge via safety discharge pipe.

Unfortunately your sink pipes have nothing to do with the red expansion vessel your have pictured. That expansion vessel is for your central heating pipework that supplies your radiators. Don't let the air out of that red vessel, it needs air in it to work properly. If you find that the pressure on that gauge rises closer to the 3 when the central heating is on, then the vessel need to be pressurised properly. Time for an engineer.

Do you have an unvented hot water cylinder? If you can post a picture of that if possible.

Thank you. Will it be ok? I mean with the heating and the pressure?

Thank you. Will it be ok? I mean with the heating and the pressure?
It may be ok very short term, depends how long you’ve been doing it for. Every time you re-pressurise the system, you’re adding oxygenated water, which can cause corrosion. Also do you have hot water cylinder?

The guy at the plumbers store said to reduce all the air out the vessel and that should stop the noise as there will be air in the pipes. I did see on YouTube that you can pump air back into the vessel but I have no idea what I’m doing as I don’t know anything about plumbing or heating. Is this the water cylinder? Please excuse the mess

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 55
It’s only been since last night. My son has just had a shower and the pressure dropped again. Is this the water cylinder? Please excuse the mess

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 54

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back