Preventing mould in a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s semi with original garage - concrete floor (no DPC), bare brick walls (double skin), corrugated iron and concrete ceiling. It's joined to the house via a lean-to conservatory. It gets damp and a bit mouldy, and I'm one of those people who get really ill with mould so I need to fix it. I'd appreciate any advice or experience.

It gets damp for two reasons: 1) condensation, which is worse than in a separate garage as it gets the warm air from the rest of the house. 2) penetrating damp as the bottom 1-1.5 metres of one of the long walls is an earth retaining wall. This wall is the dampest part, and it and the floor are the joint coldest parts.

In an ideal world it would be tanked, insulated and forced ventilation installed, but I don't have the money (or the skills to do it all myself). It's also only 2.1 metres high so limited space to insulate. I think I can manage the following:

1. Tank the floor and damp wall with tanking slurry
2. Level the floor with self levelling compound
3. Spray the tanked wall and ceiling with anti-mould paint (the Sovereign one looks good, I was thinking spray because the concrete ceiling is really rough).
4. Install rubber flooring
5. Install an electric heater
6. Have an extractor fan (on humidistat) or PIV installed.

Does the plan feel like it's missing anything? I'm also not 100% sure about tanking the damp wall as I guess the damp will just be stuck behind the tanking layer and it's unpredictable where it will find its way out?

Sponsored Links
Fit a door to prevent humid air from the house getting in

Open it up on all sides to ventilate

Search for sources of water such as roof, gutters or drains and rectify them

No point trying to heat it until it has an insulated roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back