Previous wall decoration seeping through paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is pretty old - built c.1919. The original plaster is still on the walls with the original "decoration" of the time. I've no idea what is is - it looks like some kind of glossy/eggshell type substance and is bright red!!!

Anyway, decorated the hallway but the offensive red stuff has seeped through the paper so I'm going to have to do it again - but I'm pretty certain the same thing will happen again.

Can anyone suggest what I should apply to the walls to stop it happening again?

Sponsored Links
Could be an oil bound distemper - are you going to take the paper off and re hang new - Remove all the paste residue and then coat wals with zinsser water based primer/sealer ( from a trade outlet) That will stick to any old/dodgy surface and whiten over the red too :idea: Not cheap, but it sounds like the surface is dodgy enough to warrant it.

Excellent thank you. I'll look for that. But yes, I'll need to strip the wallpaper off completely - it's a bloomin mess - there's a red "stripe" right round where the old picture rail has been (that was off before I got the house) and I've just noticed patches of a yellow colour here and there as well - have no idea where that's come from because I didn't see anything yellow!!

sounds about right for an original period house ;) . Watch out for the ceilings too...They may well be old powdery distemper too.

Sponsored Links
The ceilings are all woodchip!!!! :eek: :eek: Joy of joys - that will probably be staying!!!

I was looking for the Zinsser and noticed that there are a couple of different kinds and varying prices.

There's Zinsser All-Coat (water based)
Zinsser Bullseye 1-2- 3 Primer-Sealer & Stain Killer (w/b) and
Zinsser Shieldz (w/b)

Is there any particular one or would any of them do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back