Price to fit honeywell gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time poster, but long time lurker, so please be gentle :D

Just moved into a house, and it's got a baxi bermuda 552 BBU. The pilot light kept dying, so I arranged a guy to come around and service it and replace the thermocouple. That was all fine and for a week or so the boiler was all good. Then the pilot light kept going out and a loud clunk could be heard from the grey push button for the pilot. This can happen after 5mins or 2hrs etc and when it does the button can't be pushed back in for 30s or so.

So I decided to get a replacement honeywell gas valve (like this, as I've been told they're quite a common part to fail. I can't get hold of the guy that serviced my boiler so I tried another boiler repair place that wanted £90 just to fit it.

Seemed a bit expensive to me, just thought I'd check to see what some of the experts on here would charge to fit it. Thanks for any input!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
what makes you so sure it's the gas valve faulty? the valve doesn't usually drop out while it's lit, but if the TC is loose or the pilot flame is wrong that would cause it. have someone look again, but gas work doesn't usually come 'cheap'.

I'm not 100% sure it's the gas valve that's faulty, it's the clunk from the grey push button and the 30s wait before you can try lighting the pilot again that I thought pointed towards the gas valve. Thermocouple seems fine, it was a new part and I watched the guy fit it. If I try to light it, I can get the boiler completely going, but then after anywhere from 5mins to a few hours the gas valve clunks, pilot and main burner turn off and the grey button locks again. So I've just ordered the part and left it turned off

The clunk and grey button lockout seems like some sort of safety override, so I know it could be pressure related but that was all tested as part of the service with no problems found

again, have someone check the pilot and TC. if they aren't right the gas valve does indeed go clunk

Sponsored Links
On a simple old boiler we would probably change a supplied gas valve within out standard diagnostic charge of £84 in our local area.

However, on a BBU the fire has to be removed first and because of the nature of the boiler, flue tests have to be done before we can reassemble the unit.

Consequently I would probably be quoting more like £136 unless it was a very regular customer or a pensioner or someone I liked.

Tony

£90.00 is a fair price for changeing gas valve.

still most prob thermocouple loose or pilot not playing on thermocouple correctley.

Get the boiler serviced it will be a dirty pilot injector causing your fault.

£90 is cheap especially considering its a back boiler.Its amazing how people outside the gas industry think jobs should be priced. I know someone that paid £200 to have a gas valve replaced plus the £150 the part cost.

£90 is cheap especially considering its a back boiler.Its amazing how people outside the gas industry think jobs should be priced. I know someone that paid £200 to have a gas valve replaced plus the £150 the part cost.

£200 labour to change a gas valve is a disgrace and verging on robbery in my opinion, no gas engineer could hold their head high when taking that kind of money uless they travelled about 100 miles to do it and the price for diesel was included :eek: some people really have an unrealistic idea of what a gas engineer is worth, unless that includes a christmas day call out then return visit to change valve

Or the Custard insists on a Saturday call or an Evening call cos they can't be a**d to take a day off etc etc then it could well be £200!! ;)

It was a mate's sister in law and she wanted it done after 7pm midweek. It sounds like he didnt want the job gave her a ridiculos price to put her off but she accepted it. These things happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back