Primatic going going gone, I hope!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old thorn boiler, 8mm microbore, gravity hot water and a horrible Primatic hot water cylinder. (I may well consider at some point in the future changing the boiler but I want to get rid of as much of the sludge as possible first as I would like to keep my current pipe work, I really do not want oak floors ripped up to put in new pipes!)
I would like to simply replace the Primatic with a Standard indirect cylinder and replace the one shared feed expansion tank with individual ones, So that I can treat the system with a chemical cleaner and then put in an inhibitor. I would rather not convert to fully pumped simply because I plan on replacing the whole thing at some point when I can afford to do so. More I save now the sooner that will be.
The questions I have are as follows.
Can I still have a gravity hot water system or will I need to replace this with a fully pumped system?
If fully pumped, then is a fully Pumped system still compatible with microbore?
If Gravity fed is ok, then which cylinder would someone recommend, as I certain large high street retailer explicitly states there cylinder is for fully pumped systems only, which is the reason why I posted?

Sponsored Links
If it still works - after a fashion - leave it alone until you`re OK to have a whole new system . Start messing with what you have and it`ll be a nightmare :idea: Let sleeping sludge lie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back