Replacing primatic cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my primatic cylinder, can replace it for another indirect cylinder but want to get rid of the tank in the loft. Was speaking to someone a while back who said I can replace it for another type of cylinder that doesnt require a tank in loft, is this correct? and if so what cylinder is this?

My system is a Baxi back boiler with pumped heating and gravity hw.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
To be fair to Kedsy we need to mention Unvented Hot water cylinders.
No loft tank, but mains pressure hot water.

Price is higher but if you're taking a cylinder out anyway the fitting makes less difference. They can give you very good showers without a pump. There's a lot about them on this forum - doa search.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the average cost of one of these cylinders?

Something wrong with asking how much something costs?

Didn't want to know fitting costs , just the price of the cylinder.

Mod would have to kill you if we told how much they cost :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Do a quick search on un-vented cylinders, Ariston, Megaflo, Tribune.

Thanks, Slightly higher than what i expected but not too bad i supose.

Them is very good though provided the mains pressure and flow is good to your property.

Just to clear up a point, the Baxi Back boiler is gas and not solid fuel :?:

Yes, back boiler is gas. Mains pressure is good too.

Go for then you won't be sorry.

Saying that you will need to find a plumber with an un-vented ticket, and the primary circuit will need to be PartL compliant eg fully pumped Y plan so some alterations are required to the pipework

What would happen if it was fitted as a direct replacement without making it fully pumped?

An un-vented cylinder should be fully pumped to comply with current regulations.

Gravity circulation is not recommended due to poor heating performance, in addition the cylinder has a thermal cutout which must control a 2port valve to shut off the heat source, on a gravity circuit this could present expansion and safety issues with the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back