Primatic Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This post is for only those who actually know what a primatic cylinder is!

I have come across one (finally!) It is nicely located within a metre of the boiler having 1" (28mm) gravity flow and returns to one side of the old boiler. (The pumped 22mm heating circuit on the other side of the boiler).

Heating circuits are working fine and a manual air bleed just 100mm away on the pumped flow shows the boiler fully charged with water.

Gravity flow pipe at boiler is hot but no circulation to cylinder primatic heat exchanger and so water in the cylinder is not being heated!

Client reports one day it was working fine, then it just stopped working. Apparently some noise was heard on the last day it worked and probably has something to do with it!

Logically there is either an obstruction in the pipe or some sort of air lock on the gravity primary. Other than the trick of removing the boiler stat and letting it boil for a few moments what else might work?

So what sort of faults do primatics develop and what fixes are available other than ripping it out and fitting a coiled indirect with a F&E tank!

Edit: Hot water (albeit cold at the moment!) is clear and no obvious contamination, so the designed air lock (bubble) would seem to be OK. I need to take another look just in case there is an external vent fitted to the cylinder as I now know some types have this feature.

Sponsored Links
Boil it carefully it can be done without losing the air bubble or completely drain system and hope it removes air lock or possible carp in return

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back