Primatic Radiator change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All
I'm a competent DIYer, fitted bathroom/kitchen but never really dealt with the central heating system.
I want to replace a old single cast iron radiator for a new double convector radiator to increase the warmth in the room. So i started to do a little research on my setup.
I have an old system with an ageing potterton kingfisher 2 boiler, a hot water cylinder tank and a single water tank in the loft. After searching the internet looking at systems that didn't quite fit i came across the Primatic CH system which seems to match mine and is likely as system was fitted in the early 80's.
This system works very well and has never given me any problems (10 years!!) so i dont really want to replace this system at the moment even though a newer system would be alot more efficient for the future.

anyway back to my radiator,
Do you need special radiators for Primatic systems as its not recommended to put inhibitor in this type of system?
The old radiator has old fittings so i would need to replace the lockshield valves at each end of the radiator to fit a new modern radiator.
Can you fit a thermostatic valve at one end of the radiator on Primatic systems?

i would need to drain the system to change the valves (unless anyone has any special techniques) i would be very grateful if anyone has anyone got any experience/tips for draining and filling Primatic CH systems?

Dave

Sponsored Links
I've never pulled a vacuum on a Primatic system Dave, I'd worry id implode the Primatic part of the cylinder.

I think it'll be best if you shut off the cold feed to the cylinder & drain the system.

Standard radiators & valves will be fine for your system.
HTH

Thanks for your reply.
Think I will go down the drain and refill method.
Have you got any special tips for doing this on a primatic system? I don't want to cause any large air locks in the system.
Dave

Sponsored Links
As Richard says... But also worth mentioning that when you refill your hot water is going to be dirty as hell for a short while too (let it settle overnight and drain off from every tap until it runs clear the next day).

I came across the Primatic CH system which seems to match mine and is likely as system was fitted in the early 80's.
Are you sure? I would be surprised that a new system installed in the 1980's was fitted with a Primatic Cylinder. I can't remember ever seeing a 1980's built home with one fitted. By that time, most had indirect cylinders with motorised valves and full controls. AFAIK Primatics stopped being fitted in the mid 1970's.

Having said that, cast iron radiators from the same time would be unusual too. But, if you only have one F&E tank that would suggest a Primatic.

I had a primatic cylinder when I first moved into a 1960's built house. It's been gone for 20 years, but I do remember that it had a bleed valve about half way up which I had to open whenever I refilled the system. But I seem to think not all Primatics had one.

Never ever bung a primatic the entire cylinder will implode .
Its a full drain down evertime

Hi thanks for all the replies.
P I will take all your advice and drain the system. The house wasnt built in the 1980s (built in 1910) but i just guessed the system must be old due to the age of the boiler.
Dave

Primatic cylinders are still getting fitted today as direct replacements so no reason for age to matter .
Also they could be fitted as fully pumped so some may have left an existing one in when fitting a new boiler

Primatic cylinders are still getting fitted today as direct replacements so no reason for age to matter .
Also they could be fitted as fully pumped so some may have left an existing one in when fitting a new boiler
You sure they're still available? I remember fitting one a few years back but recently struggled to get one and changed to a standard cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back