Priority Shower Boards

Sponsored Links
I think he didn't read the post carefully enough to realise the point was the unit only allows one shower to operate at a time.
The rest is history.

No it doesn't, both can run if demand is <3kw, but if one goes >£3kw, one of them will be switched off.

popcorn.gif

Sponsored Links
...if a house has one shower satisfactorily operating on mains water pressure, what happens if add another shower? Will the performance of my original shower improve or get worse?

That depends on the flow rate of the incoming water supply. On a good supply, absolutely nothing will happen when adding another shower.

That depends on the flow rate of the incoming water supply. On a good supply, absolutely nothing will happen when adding another shower.
No, it depends on the pressure at the desired flow rate. The shower head is essential at providing back pressure on an instantaneous heater.

I have regularly designed and built this sort of arrangement (albeit without the <3KW facility) simply with CT switches and contactors.

The first was a temporary botch on site to prevent 2 sump pumps running simultaneously as the common outflow was too small and the back pressure stopped either pumping.
I stripped the windings from a couple of 4 pole relays and replaced with a few turns of thicker enamelled wire to make current operated relays, then used the N.C. contacts to disable the other pump.

It was in use for several months while some building works were being done and then went into a site hut to stop the kettle being used at the same time as a fan heater. It may still be laying around.

IIRC the old box I used had a couple of hours run meters and wired those in too.

Edit: That does look like a nice solution to what is becoming a regular problem.

Edit 2: correct from N.O. To N.C. contact and it has also been used camping to prevent kettle being used at the same time as the toaster and microwave.

Last edited:
Did you test or model how the device behaved when power was restored after an interruption?

There are no 3kW showers, but how many have eco settings with reduced power?

Why the question Ban?
Do you think this is a difficult thing to achieve?
IIRC, when we've tried to design something using interlocked contactors it looked like you could get problems with how it behaved on restoration of power.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back