Problem after installing pendant light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been renovating my house and had no issues with wiring things until I replaced a pendant light fitting in the hallway.

I wired it exactly as I found the old one (which I know you can't always rely on) and after installing it, when switching the hallway light on, the lounge light will come on sometimes, or just flicker, it's almost like the lounge and hallway light take it in turns with each flick of the switch.

The switch is three - left is landing (2 way) middle is lounge (2 way) and right is hallway (1 way).

Since having the issue I've tried multiple things, some saying it may be the switch or touching wires. So I've come on here as a plea for help with photos attached of the switch and hallway and lounge wiring

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220424_172904.jpg
    20220424_172904.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 20220424_172837.jpg
    20220424_172837.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220424_173000.jpg
    20220424_173000.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20220424_173047.jpg
    20220424_173047.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
Did you only change/ swap over the wiring at the new pendant and leave the switch wiring as is? Which pic is the new pendant light, 3 or 4?

Blup

Questions:
Is there only one light in the hallway?
Those switches look new. Did you change them too?
Do you have a test METER. (Not one of those magic wand things)?

PS Not relavent to your problem, but why are the earth conductors not joined together in any of the photos?

All have been replaced including the switch. However, the hallway pendant was the last to be changed and all was working fine before.

Photo 3 is the hallway and photo 4 is the lounge.

The earth wires aren't connected in the photos as this was when I was trying different things and didn't want them in the way. The wiring in all photos is as I found them.

I do have a multimeter

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician...

When trying to trouble shoot lighting and switches. I use a multimeter and long lengths of old alarm cable/telephone cable (whatever I have to hand) to run from the rose to near the light switch so that the probes on the mutlitmeter are long enough to test for continuity. I do that with the MCB off.

I then use the web to find/view diagrams of single/two/three way switching.

It works for me and has helped to me troubleshoot issues left behind by "real" electricians. The likes of @EFLImpudence (et al) have helped me a lot over the years, but I would (respectively) suggest that you answer the questions asked by them, eg the question by @SUNRAY

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back