problem with a customer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi (sorry this is a long one!)

I recently replaced a low-level WC cistern for a customer. She wanted something that matched her victorian basin with straight edges etc. so I bought a victorian style cistern plus a chrome flush pipe as requested (all for £105 inc. guts).
The next day she rang to say she didn't like it and thought it was ugly!

Now, the merchants won't take it back so I wasn't too happy. Anyway, at the end of the day, she's the client and she's not happy. I suggested that she buys one that she's 100% happy with and that I'll fit that instead free of charge. (1st lesson learnt of not fitting anything until the customer has seen it!). She agreed with this idea and seemed happy.

Then one week on I hadn't heard anything, so I rang, leaving a friendly message on her answer phone asking how she was getting on finding another cistern. Then another week goes by and no response. I ring again, leave another friendly message asking how it's going.

That was a week ago. I'm now thinking of writing her a letter saying that because I have not heard from her I am to assume that she either a) is happy with the installation...and please can I have the £200 owing. or b) she's got another plumber in, in which case can I have my cistern, flushpipe back, and new pipework paid for.

Anyone had similar experiences? and am I going about this the right way??

Any advice much appreciated.

Graham

Sponsored Links
Perhaps this is not the case but for a tradesman this is so nieve that I will assume that you are a six week course plumber just starting work.

As you have learnt, never buy special things for a client unless they have seen and approved them AND paid for them first. They are non returnable and the client must be told that. Many plumbers get the client to buy them.

You have not made it clear if you have installed them or not.

As they have not responded you can either call there or send an invoice clearly stating that payment is needed within 7 days or it will be passed to a debt collection agency.

Obviously if they are not fitted then she must return them to you or pay for them.

Tony

Agile said:
Perhaps this is not the case but for a tradesman this is so nieve that I will assume that you are a six week course plumber just starting work.

Tony

No, I'm 2 yr NVQ trained, 3 years exp working for company, newish to working on my own (6 mths) thanks agile. I know I was extremely nieve but have done plenty of jobs in good faith and this is the first time anything like this has happened.
Yes it was installed.

Think you need to deal with this one in person and sort it amicably.

If she is not returning your calls then you have no option.

Does sound like she is trying to have you over and may need a few 5 a.m phone calls to sort it. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bahco for the advice (and not the lecture on how stupid I've been :oops: )

I already thought I'd been amicable when I offered to fit a 2nd cistern chosen by her for free, and like I said, she seemed v happy. Either she's on holiday and not getting my calls or like you said, trying it on.
I know I'm going to lose out, but just want the cistern back to cut my losses, seeing as it cost me £100!

East Sussex :?: ....I`ll lend you a 4inch drain plug for the nearest manhole on your "customer"`s property..........then charge £200 up front to unblock it :LOL: :LOL:

can of expanding foam does the job :LOL: :LOL:

then let the cusy get some other muppet to clean the mess up won't get yer money back fella but nowt stops you sitting in the van and ****ing yersen laughing

BTW we have all been caught at some time par for the course ;)

you have a contract with your customer even though it is not written a verbal contract is law.you have forefilled your part of the contact and the customer has breached the contract by not paying up.
you should try to reestablish contact by calling in person and come to an arrangement,you have already made a generous offer.
you then have the choice to write 3 letters to bring matters to a conclusion.if this fails you then have the option of the small claims court.
if you go down this route make sure you keep records of all dates and correspondence.

scatmanjohn said:
a verbal contract is law

Are you sure?

it is sort of but until money has changed hands its her word against yours and your case looks better cos she let you fit the bleeedin thing.

You have cocked up mate (we have all done it, and i bet Agile has to, mind you he was probably too busy feeding the five thousand to when you think about it ( I kid I kid)

fix the new one and get as much moolah as you can then never ever ever work for her again or buy something like a toilet for a client, always let them buy it then YOU fix.

Again dont feel too bad as it happens to all of us, even those with much better qualifications than NVQ2 arsewipe paper ;)

Again I am kiddding, well I am not actually i think your mad going out thinking the NVQ2 is a high enough standard to offer the general public, but what do I know

Go round in person and demand payment or you'll take the bog out.

She's making a monkey out of you. Treating you like sh*t.

there must be three parts to a verbal contract in this case there is.
1 the offer
2 an agreement by the other party
3 a consideration (payment}
this is very simplistic but fundamental to determine whether there is a contract or not

Try writing, laying out the facts. If you do not receive a reply with a reasonable time, write again. In the next letter be polite state the facts again & advise the customer that you will be taking the matter to the small claims court if you have not heard with 14 days.
I think you may get a reply if not, proceed with small claims court.

you have a contract with your customer even though it is not written a verbal contract is law.

Could'nt agree more fela kuti

Quote:
I know I'm going to lose out

Only if you are a fool will this happen!

Be persistant and walk away with YOUR toilet if you have to

Now thats the kind of reaction required.

or of coarse this is a classic

can of expanding foam does the job

then let the cusy get some other muppet to clean the mess up won't get yer money back fella but nowt stops you sitting in the van and p******g yersen laughing

Got a customer just like this in a chip shop. Get a call one friday night "mi boilers broke ave got no hotwater", ok no problem ill be there first thing in the morning. went, checked the boiler to find it had set its self on fire, did'nt tell me this on the phone, missed out on £90 call out.
ok solve the problem got a brand new multi point in it goes hot water within the hour customer pleased as punch.
Three weeks later still has'nt paid. Not a problem went there this morning 7.30, took the boiler out and capped his meter, no hot water and bacon butties or chips for the school kids, he's been on the phone all day begging me to put his gas back on and boiler in, come to an agreement i'll put right tomorrow morn 6.30 for first invoice plus £150 incovinience, cash up front of coarse.

Customer always right :LOL: :LOL: only when they've paid mate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back