Problem with circuit breaker tripping a fuse switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, my problem is that we've moved into a another house and when we turn the hoover on in the living room it will trip the living room fuse switch on the circuit breaker. It does it with both sockets in the room even with nothing else plugged in on that circuit. It will work fine on the kitchen circuit but not tried the others as of yet.

Is there anything that likely to be wrong with the living room circuit/fuse/socket?

Any help very much appreciated :)

Thanks

Oliver

Sponsored Links
Had the self same thing once - the problem socket was a spur which had been wired in using smaller cable (1mm instead of 2.5mm). In that case luckily it was ground floor, there was an accessible cellar underneath and the cable could be easily changed. The undersized cable and the big-use appliance = overload which tripped the circuit breaker. Does your socket cause a trip with a low-use appliance - try a standard lamp, for instance.

PJ

Had the self same thing once - the problem socket was a spur which had been wired in using smaller cable (1mm instead of 2.5mm). In that case luckily it was ground floor, there was an accessible cellar underneath and the cable could be easily changed. The undersized cable and the big-use appliance = overload which tripped the circuit breaker. Does your socket cause a trip with a low-use appliance - try a standard lamp, for instance.

PJ

Thank you for the reply. No it will only trip with the hoover, we've got PC's and laptops connected now with-out any issues apart from with the hoover. Downside for us is that the kitchen is the cellar(which is where the breaker is).

Hi pjcomp - Are you a youngster? If not, do divulge the secret.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Should be this one.

05022011180-1.jpg

But its not the one thats labled for the room sockets.

That is a 6A breaker, so not surprising it trips when a vacuum cleaner is used.

This is not dangerous, but it does look like those two sockets are actually connected to what was/is a lighting circuit.
Perhaps they were originally round pin types for lamps, and someone has subsequently changed them for flat pin 13A sockets.

So I need to change the breaker for a breaker with a higher amp rating then? If so how high?

So I need to change the breaker for a breaker with a higher amp rating then? If so how high?

NO

If you do that then the cable feeding the socket might be overloaded when the vacuum cleaner is being used. Overloaded cables can be a fire hazard.

It is a 6 amp breaker because that is the maximum current the cable can carry without overheating.

NO

If you do that then the cable feeding the socket might be overloaded when the vacuum cleaner is being used. Overloaded cables can be a fire hazard.

It is a 6 amp breaker because that is the maximum current the cable can carry without overheating.
Is there anyway I can test the cable? Because our landlord swears blind he had the house rewired.

the problem socket was a spur which had been wired in using smaller cable .... The undersized cable and the big-use appliance = overload which tripped the circuit breaker.
Please explain how that works - I would really love to know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back