Problem with Fisher PD Plasterboard Fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just got some of the Fisher PD plasterboard plugs from Screwfix but can't seem to get them to work.

They are supposed to retract into themselves to expand when you tighten the screw but all they seem to do for me is snap so it doesn't retract.

I've been using No. 8 woodscrews with the PD8. Looking at the Fisher website it does make reference to the fixings being specially developed for chipboard screws - is there much difference between a normal woodscrew and a chipboard screw?

Perhaps it is me (probably) but if anyone has any experience of using these fixings then any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Damian30 said:
I've been using No. 8 woodscrews with the PD8. Looking at the Fisher website it does make reference to the fixings being specially developed for chipboard screws - is there much difference between a normal woodscrew and a chipboard screw?
I have to say I've not had problems with them, other than sometimes using too high a driver speed :rolleyes: . Chipboard screws have a deeper thread than standard wood screws which means that they will have more bite into the soft plastic - that might be your problem. Spax and Reisser screws work well in situations llike this.

Scrit

Damian30 said:
Perhaps it is me (probably) but if anyone has any experience of using these fixings then any advice would be appreciated.
Maybe, it just getting the knack of doing it right, you might find it easier to use toggle fixings instead.

p4075017_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Maybe, it just getting the knack of doing it right, you might find it easier to use toggle fixings instead.
Yes, but even they can spin if you're a bit cack handed. Best to pull them up with the fixing tool before inserting the screw:

p4324210_x.jpg

:LOL:

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back