Problem with Glow-worm boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Not sure what to do here. Not long moved house and we were told that the boiler had been serviced in the last few months. On moving in the lady who sold the house left us a note (on a variety of things) on which she told us that the plumber who serviced it had mentioned that a particular part (don't know which) was on it's way out (but could last a while ) and that it was now obsolete.

There have been a list of issues with the boiler from the start:
Heating comes on when it shouldn't (i.e. when it's set on timed but the timer is set to off);
Would stay on even though the thermostat was set very low;
Hot water for the bath would be hot for a few seconds then go cold Although I think I've worked this one out. The water pressure upstairs is pretty high so when the tap is fully open the boiler just doesn't seem to keep up. By just opening it up at a slower rate (say half way) it seemed to stay hot.
This is the manual on the glow-worm web site.

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/...80-100_UIS.pdf

The fault comes up as (page 30):
Fault Code = 0 and 2.
There is no flame ionisation.

So at the moment we have no heating or hot water!

I don't know whether this is linked with the other issues or because with the recent warmer spell the only way we knew how to turn it off (since it seems to have a life of it's own) was to turn the power off. (We were roasting even with it turned off on the timer and the thermostat set very low it was still coming on).

Any advice?
Does anyone know about how old it is?

Sponsored Links
Things have progressed slightly.

After resetting it several times it seems to be working - although now it seems to be firing up every couple of minutes...darn't turn it off...

Can't get that link to work.

Sounds like it could be electronic though. As the basic checks needed involve removing the combustion chamber for some of them it will be a RGI job, but don't use the last chap :rolleyes:

Sorry - try this link:
http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/products/pdf/discontinued/boilers/EnergySaverCombi80-100_UIS.pdf

We've just had a plumber round who has had a look and is worried about it firing up all the time - so much so he's advised us to switch it off and leave it off! He listened to our comments and listened to the boiler (nothing was opened).

He's advised us to get a replacement put in. :cry:
Even says that the surveyor should have picked it up (- although it wasn't making that noise when we first moved in).

He also said that the boiler is about 12 - 15 yrs old and parts are not likely to be available.

Ww

Sponsored Links
constantly firing on/off without demand can be caused by a dripping tap or a faulty/damp dhw ntc. as for ignition failure, this needs to be investigated by an RGI, normal checks on ignition electrodes/lead & control module.
sounds like the guy who looked at it probably just doesnt know what he's doing or would just rather flog a new boiler. I don't see why it can't be repaired, as far as i am aware you can still get parts for this model.

I agree with Mickey. I can't see why it can't be repaired. Perhaps a fixed charge call out to Glow Worm could be your cheapest option.

Too many installers who do not know how to fix boilers tend to suggest a replacement due to their lack of knowledge. Also note that a lot of installers are short of work at present, probably due to them being idiots :eek: :LOL:

Thank you both for your replies. I have contacted Glow-worm via their website and have asked for a call back plus we've asked for another local plumber to have a look.

If we do end up replacing it at least I know we'll have tried our best.

Would there be any issues in switching it back on then?

without seeing it, it wouldn't be my place to say....however if the last guy was a corgi registered engineer and he honestly thought it was dangerous in any way he would have made it safe, with a label and paperwork advising on you of his findings..it really depends on his reasons for advising it left off.
a boiler simply firing on and off wouldn't in normal circumstances be a danger ,however continual use could potentially cause further problems...you didn't say if by any chance you might have any dripping hot taps in your house?

He was Corgi registered and we asked him to come round to have a look / give a quote for repair. No paper work done though.

No dripping taps I'm afraid. Other problems we have been having over the last couple of weeks have been:

- heating coming on when not on timer;
- water not staying hot from the hot water tap (I put this down to the water pressure being so high - by only opening the tap half way it does seem to stay hot...the bath does however take forever to fill);
- there does seem to be water coming dripping off the boiler.

I'll leave it off for now. Thank god we've got an electric shower.[/list]

reading that, it could actually be the 3way valve stuck half open, this would cause poor hot water performance and the heating to come on when the boiler fires to heat the hw store. anyway, hopefully your next engineer visit will be more succesful! good luck.

Hi,

We've got the boiler going again but the heating still has a mind of its own.

The plumber that came round said he thought that the thermostat / timer had been wired up incorrectly (he tried another that he had but it did the same thing).

Now even when the timer is on an "off" period and the thermostat is at 0 the heating still comes on...we can't afford all this gas we're wasting. I have for the meantime turned all the heaters off.

Can anyone tell me what's going on with my central heating?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back