Problem with Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas supply has been switched off for some time during renovatations . I had a plumber in the other day re-piping the heating system and I am about to reconnect the gas supply.

The plumber fired up the boiler and said that even though there is no gas supply, I should be able to hear the pump working (a whirring noise I assume?). The pump didn't make a peep.

Is this because there is no gas supply, or is the plumber right when he says I need a new pump (which he has offered to quote me for of course!)

Sponsored Links
With no gas, most boilers will still go through a complete light-up sequence, including starting the pump. Did the plumber at least unscrew the bleed screw on the nose of the pump and spin the impeller, before he condemned it? If not, sounds like he ought to be an accountant, not a plumber. (Apologies to accountants everywhere - I'm sure you not ALL thugs and thieves!)

As Croydon says the boiler will go through the start up sequence, did you hear any noise at all from the boiler, like the solenoid valve opening or the fan?. If not check the electrical supply to the boiler. Also you say you have been renovating the house, check the supply at the pump in case someone's chopped the cable somewere.

Sponsored Links
croydoncorgi said:
sounds like he ought to be an accountant

Maybe he used to be an accountant but left to become a plumber/heating engineer. After all we have a far easier job for bags more wages and the skill level required for our job can be learned on a weeks course at slough college for the greedily inept.

pal-handbag-E.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back