Problem with TRV on vertical rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been trying to work out why the lounge didn't seem to warm up very well even though the rad is 2300w.. The rad is a vertical Reina Neva - http://www.screwfix.com/p/reina-nev...igner-radiator-white-1800x413mm-7952btu/53392

What I have just found out is that is seems the rad is radiating even at the bottom and so it shutting down the TRV.. Even with the trv set to 5 (max) the rad flow is still being reduced before the room has heated up..

I have now taken the TRV off completely so will see this evening what effect this has on the room heating up..

The question is how do I solve this and stop the TRV shutting down before the room is up to temperature?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
I don't follow what you are saying about the TRV?

It will sense the air temperature around it and then shuts down, so it will only shut down once it's surroundings have reached the temperature you have set it at.

Are you sure the rad has been sized correctly for the lounge?

What TRV have you got?

How is the TRV fitted to the rad, i.e. are they the type that cannot be fitted vertically?

I don't follow what you are saying about the TRV?

It will sense the air temperature around it and then shuts down, so it will only shut down once it's surroundings have reached the temperature you have set it at.

Are you sure the rad has been sized correctly for the lounge?

What I mean is the TRV is being "heated up" by the rad and so is shutting down before the room has reached temperature.. In other words the vertical bars of the rad are radiating in all directions including towards the TRV..

As for sizing according to the online calulators I need 6534BTU and this rad is 7952BTU so should be more than enough which is why I couln't work it out until now..

Basically I had the TRV on 5 (max) and I went to turn it down to see where it was cutting off (I can hear the water flowing).. As I turned it about 1mm it stopped completely.. So I removed the TRV head and the full flow went through and I could feel the heat coming off the rad increase.. So my conclusion is that the rad is heating the TRV and causing it to shut off..

What TRV are you using, some won't work properly when fitted vertically.

Sponsored Links
TRV is an "EPH Controls EN215".. At least thats what it says on the box.. Looks like this.. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31iV5+ka0cL._SX300_.jpg[/QUOTE]
The TRV appears to have only one arrow on the body - pointing to the right.

If that is correct, the arrow must point in the direction of flow - towards the rad on the input (hotter pipe), away from rad on the return (cooler pipe).

Has the system been balanced?

EN215 is not part of the part number. It's just the European Standard which the TRV meets.

I've had similar problems where the TRV is mounted vertically and the radiator is marginal.

Remote sensing TRV head is what you need.

If you have plenty of rad for the room this seems to be much less of an issue.

The TRV appears to have only one arrow on the body - pointing to the right.

If that is correct, the arrow must point in the direction of flow - towards the rad on the input (hotter pipe), away from rad on the return (cooler pipe).

Has the system been balanced?

There are arrows pointing in both directions..

It has been balanced..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back