Problematic screws for new gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I'm trying to replace the gate to my garden. It's only a small one (about 120x100mm). The problem I'm having is that I seem to be unable to unscrew the hinges. No matter how hard I try they just won't budge. Is there any tips that can help? Any solution or method of unscrewing stiff screws? It's not like they're rusty either, just solid!

Sponsored Links
wd 40 allow time to work

clear out the slot or star make shure you have the correct bit it should be a tight fit and stay in the screw unaided although this is unlikly on rusted old screws but you get the idea :D ;)

most star wood screws are pozi[pz] NOTphilips

locate the screwdriver[or the bit] on the screw give a few good taps with a hammer
start by tightening a few mm then remove

If you've access to an electric drill/driver, stick it on torque setting - should do the job as long as you haven't mashed the heads.

If they are countersunk, drill out the heads and remove the hinge. Use mole grips on the shanks to twist out the rest. :idea:

Sponsored Links
agree with big-all, a smart tap on the end of an old screwdriver usually works. it jolts the thread creating space.

Further to big-all and noseall,s replies.

You can buy screwdrivers with a hexagon shape just below the handle, which you can use a spanner on...gives more leverage.

Alternately if you have a socket set, you can buy the correct bit to fit your rachet....Again more leverage.

In both instances it would help if you can get a friend to firmly push on the screwdriver or a bit of wood on the rachet, while you turn them.

If everything fails, use the method suggested by nstreet

if none of those work and they usually do, apply some heat to it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back