problems with economy 7 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Have a problem with my electric immersion boiler and am looking for some help

The boiler is for hot water only, our heating is provided by electric storage heaters

The boiler has 2 elements I think one is for the boost (regular electricity) and the other is for the economy seven

We normally have the boiler on for 4 hours each night

Woke up the other morning to no hot water :cry:

I tried to turn the boiler on with the boost however this did not work

First i changed both thermostats for new this did not fix it

Next i removed the control panel, there was some light scorching on the circuit board I replaced this with a new Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz Timeswitch (the system was fitted with one of these originally)

The boost function works now however the economy 7 does not appear to be functioning correctly

The boiler now comes on for approx 10 seconds then powers down (you can hear it starting to heat the water then it goes off) this happens every 10 mins or so

Any ideas what could be causing this?

The thermostats are set to a factory position could these by set incorrectly for the boiler?

could the elements be on the way out?

Sponsored Links
Bottom Element is the E7 element, this is clearly down and needs replacing Thermostats are not factory set you should set the stats to 60'c the bottom element may have taken the E7 controller with it when it failed I would advise you to consult a qualified electrician ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back