Problems with HRM Wallstar Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lived in our house since 2003, and we have a HRM Wallstar Boiler. The house/boiler were both new. Everything was fine for about 4 years, then we noticed that sometimes the heating didn't click on when it was supposed to do, it only happened now and again. Of course it started happening more frequently, so we asked the plumber who usually came out to service our boiler to have a look. After several visits, all of which we were charged for, the boiler still doesn't work properly and rarely comes on on its own. We have to go outside and manually override by pressing the button. Sometimes you have to do this 30-40 times before the heating clicks on. Sometimes it will only stay on for half an hour, sometimes it stays on longer. Mid-winter it is awful coming home to a cold house, and having to stand outside in the cold for up to 15 minutes trying to override the system. Has anybody got any ideas? :(

Sponsored Links
Was this plumber familiar with oil boilers?

I'm guessing it's going to lock out, and your resetting it? This is not good for it more than a few times.

What exact model is it?

Get an OFTEC/experienced oil boiler engineer to look at it. Plumbers sometimes don't know enough about fault finding particularly on oil-fired boilers, they're more used to installing, etc.

Are you sure the boiler is at fault? It could simply be the motorised valve on the system sticking or sluggish and it may need a new motorhead.

Oil boilers are very reliable. I am an oftec engineer myself.

Just go to the oftec website and find an oftec registered
engineer in your local area.

Dump the guy you currently use as he hasn't got a clue.

From your description it could be just that the boiler needs
setting up and a new nozzle fitting which is easy.

Did your existing guy use any gauges and a flue gas analyser on the boiler?

I would try that first before looking into perhaps solenoid or photo cell. Both of which are inexpensive.

Sponsored Links
You dont say how many visits or how much you paid.

However, if you called him to fix the boiler then thats what you should expect him to do.

My view is that you should not be paying him if he cannot fix it ( although others in our trade dont agree with this. )

Assuming you have paid him substantially and its not fixed then my view is that he should come back at no extra cost.

Intermittent lock ouit faults can sometimes be difficult to find particularly if it only happens first thing when its cold. But its only a boiler!

Tony

Common causes for intermittant lock -out on a Wallstar include
1) Faulty solenoid coil -open circuit when hot
2) Faulty Ignition transformer - not always an output
3) air ingress from mechanical joints in oil line
4) faulty non return valve (it's in the fire valve on this boiler)

IMHO a "Plumber" is not the right person to service and repair an oil fired boiler, you really need a "Service Engineer" - why not ask your neighbours who thy use and if they are happy to recommend him? thats how I get a lot of my work!! ;)

A real greenhorn here!
My boiler intermittently - but now ( as the weather has turned cold ) - is tripping the electricity when switched on. Sometimes it will be fine for c.20 mins but sometimes trips immediately.
Any help gratefully rec'd!!! :?:

Youve been advised several times............ Get an Oftec engineer in you tight #';#'#';

Slapper - living up to our name are we?
You know nothing of me, I have not posted previously yet you respond in that way. I was purely asking for some immediate help ahead of getting an engineeer in to resolve.

Slapper - living up to our name are we?
You know nothing of me, I have not posted previously yet you respond in that way. I was purely asking for some immediate help ahead of getting an engineeer in to resolve.

Good for you Griffiths or whatever you call yerself, its always good to see custards parting with some dosh for the oil industry. :LOL: :LOL:

The perfect reason not to use oftec engineers. Just hope someone from this ( not so? ) professional organisation has seen your unprofessional manner. PS Fixed myself - haha!

Yuo would have got a much better response if you had started a NEW POST and not HIJACKED an existing one

I'm glad you found that you had not switched it on properly - that would have hurt to get a repair bill to turn up a Room stat or similar!! :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back