Problems with Worcetser combi reigniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler sometimes ignites first time, other times it can take a few minutes. Once it's ignited it cuts out after a while (I presume once a certain temperature has been reached) but then has problems reigniting itself. It makes the appropriate clicking noises and the reset button remains depressed and hasn't popped up but it can take minutes to fire up again.

I've had this problem over the winter but it seems to be exaggerated now that the weather is warmer. Could this be because it reaches the "cut-out" temperature quicker? I've got the CH set fairly low - not that it's in much use now - but the HW is factory set.

Taking a shower is becoming a nightmare as after a couple of minutes the water goes cold and I'm left standing there for up to 10 minutes waiting for it to reignite and hot water to come back through. Not good when I'm halfway through washing my hair - puts me in a bad mood at the start of the day :(

Is there anything I can do or is it a job for a plumber and if so can anyone recommend one for the Bristol area?

Many thanks

Mark

Boiler: Worcester 280RSF wall mounted combi
Age: Not sure as only moved house in last year. At least 8 years old judging from paperwork that was left.
House: 3 bed victorian terrace

Sponsored Links
You dont say if its a permanent pilot boiler but I will assume it is from the age. ( If not is sparking seen throught he window? )

A common fault is the air flow test when the fan starts up. However I would need to know if the fan is starting first.

I am reluctant to give DIY advice on topics where a CORGI registered engineer is required to legally work on a boiler.

Tony Glazier

Tony

It's not a permanent pilot boiler. I have to remove the front cover to see the window but I can't make out any sparking through the window (not even when it fires up first time). I can just hear the click, click, click and then see the flame as it ignites. Sometimes this is after the first click, other times it's after a few and other times it can go on for minutes.

How do I know if the fan is starting - the only sound I can hear until it fires up is the clicking?

I think you're right and that I'm going to have to get a Corgi registered engineer out. If anyone has any ideas as to what it may be and how much it's likely to cost so that I don't get ripped off would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

I tell a lie - I can hear a humming sound as soon as I switch the CH or HW on, both before and during the "clicking". Is this the fan?

Sponsored Links
quite often the ignition leads short out on the expansion vessel....try putting a bit of insulation tape between them. Other than that sounds like a service to clean and lubricate the fan and check the electrode gaps may be in order.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back