programmers & timers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My glow worm compact 100e combi boiler does not have a clock timer and is a real pain during winter. I have tryed to source one but as the boiler is obsolete, the parts are very expensive. But I do have a salus ep200 programer clock, can i fit this externally so i can control Central heating only?. I know this programmer is not for this setup just wondering if i can utilise the Central heating side of the programmer.

Thanx in advance

boiler manual

http://www.glow-worm.co.uk/stepone/data/downloads_sd/50/00/00/compact100e.pdf

programmer manual

http://www.uk-plumbing.com/brochure/salus/salus002.pdf

Sponsored Links
hi m8,

yes i will install a standard room thermostat. Looking on p.21 from the electrical connection from the boiler manual. One diagram shows the external clock setup with a room and frost thermostat connected, is this the setup you refering to ? In my case i will ignore the frost thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is what I mean.

Basically your programmer will have L N E from the boiler/ or spur.

Terminal 4 at programmer supplies the common terminal of a thermostat.

On/call terminal at thermostat will return to the boiler to terminal R1.

That is slightly different to their drawing but thats because you have a dual channel programmer as opposed to a standard timer.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Yes what you say is correct.

Remember that thermostat you have needs a neutral!

Don't need to use terminal R2 (its for when you use timers, you have a programmer).

Let me know how you get on.

hi m8

Having bit of a problem with the above steup.

When i press the programmer to ON mode, the thermostat lights up but the boiler does not fire the burners, you can hear the fan working. Even if the programmer is in on or off mode and i rotate the thermostat nothing happens. Any pointers m8 ?? seems like no signal is being sent back to the boiler.

i've sketched the setup, how i have connected the programmer/stat and boiler

Use a multimeter and test between E and R1 at the boiler, you should have 230v.

How did you control the heating before? Is there a switch on the front of the boiler? What controls are on the front of the boiler?

Thanx m8 for all your help. All working now :) thermostat terminal SL was not making contact, had to push it down to make it sit properly.

once again many thanx m8.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back