Projector project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Good people

I'm getting a projector to ceiling mount and I need to:

fit a new light fitting which will dim the one up is a fancy one, and on testing only 1 of the lights dimmed completely so I'm going to replace with a bog standard ceiling single bulb fitting or can I still use the existing one, could it be the bulbs (image below)that are preventing the dimming, I'm not sure what kind they are as I've never seen them before ( candle style which looks like it has some kind of covered wire in there)

Also can I run a plug socket from the existing light fitting?

Hold on I've just answered my own question Maybe? Here's my train of thought, if I wire the projector from the light fitting wiring, dimming the lights will also reduce power to the projector?

But... On the existing light switch( 2 gang) 1 kitchen, the other for the room lights, on the kitchen side switch I have 1 red (live 1) and 1 black (common), however on the room side I have 2 red (live 1, live 2) and 1 black (common), if I were to replace with a standard ceiling fitting, would one of those lives become redundant? Could I then put one of those square connectors on the red (redundant)at one side and put my live for the socket on the other side of the connector)similarly doing the same for the black (except it would need 1 in 2 out (one to the light fitting and one to the socket) will this work? Or is it possible to keep the existing fitting somehow?

IMG_20210312_005206.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's a "filament style" LED lamp. The "wires" are actually strings of LEDs, and they aren't dimmable.
Are there two lights switches for this light ? The wiring in teh switch would suggest it's the far end of a 2-way switching setup. As to whether you could dim the ceiling light and still have full mains power, that would depend on the wiring at the other switch and the ceiling light. But given that the kitchen light is looped at the light, there's a fair chance this one is as well.
it would be better to connect your extra socket to a "power" circuit. Will you be taking floor boards up upstairs to run wiring to the projector ? If so, then you could tap into the upstairs socket circuit for your extra socket.

It would be a very bad idea to power the projector from the switched light circuit (projectors nearly all have internal fans which run on to cool the lamp etc as part of the powerdown sequence).
Unless its a monster you could power it from the permanent live side of the lighting circuit, easiest way would be a flying kettle lead.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps surprisingly, many of these "LED Filament" lamps are dilemmable.
(https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...1311&_nkw=led+filament+bulb+dimmable&_sacat=0)
YLSED. In the past, the only ones I've found that were dimmable had a fairly bulky bit in the base (like these*) - which made them unsuitable for the luminaires we had in that the unlit electronics section filled the glass shade and they just looked daft.
* Yeah, those are BC rather then MES - it's just an example. You might need to look hard, there's a split line about where the thickest part of the "bulb" is, and the lower section (between that line and the base) is opaque and not lit.
It would be a very bad idea to power the projector from the switched light circuit (projectors nearly all have internal fans which run on to cool the lamp etc as part of the powerdown sequence).
Unless its a monster you could power it from the permanent live side of the lighting circuit, easiest way would be a flying kettle lead.
I didn't read it as the OP wanting to run the projector from the switched circuit - I took it as more a case of him not knowing that there may (depending on the wiring scheme in use) be a permanent live available.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back