Property Developers

Sponsored Links
Well done buddy!

True DIY!

New topic for the forum maybe??? Legal? :D

Can you share an overview of what had happened?

anyone "feel something odd" about origonal post or is it just me being synical?

Sponsored Links
So what's the message? I could quite happily list a hundred defects that existed on my house when I moved in, a number a lot more serious than some of the trivia on one of these quoted websites. The two options I had at the time was to withhold payment to a builder who was renowned for winning in court and had been known to use other "persuasive" techniques or get on and fix it making a better job than they could ever do. I managed to get some things done by smooth talking some of the contractors and giving them a sob story but it's not an experience I wish to repeat.

If you're buying a house you've got to keep your eyes open and wits about you. It's preferable to buy one that's finished rather than one in build if possible. Then you avoid all this c**p.

Yes, house buyers should have more comeback on shoddy workmanship. NHBC or ZURICH doesn't apply on non-structural defects.

I you may be probably aware that trading standards office receive 200,000 complaints in relation to builders ... this no doubt speaks for itself.

It doesn't really speak for itself. This is 200,000 complaints out of how many jobs? There is the problem of unrealistic expectations, lack of communication between customer and builder, greed of customer, and so on.

There may well be a large number of bad operators about, but there are a lot of bad customers too. Fortunately both are a small proportion of the total numbers of each and almost all of my customers are good.

Customers (including me) very often want something for the smallest amount of money. This attitude has put the pressure on the tradesman to keep the price down straight away. Then they complain about the smallest amount of work that has been put in, even though this was the indication THEY gave.

Some tradesmen have been put out of business by customers refusing to pay for the work they have had done.

While your case may be justified, please remember that it is not all bad tradesmen, there are matching customers available too.

(Incidentally, what do you do for a job?)

oilman said:
Some tradesmen have been put out of business by customers refusing to pay for the work they have had done.
Sadly, that's why I left the building trade, I used to work mostly for well-off people and to get paid by them is like blood out of a stone.

I can understand your frustration here. You have payed a lot for your new home and expect it to be 110%. There are bad apples in every profession. Looks like you have come across one of them. Please do not tarnish the whole industry with the same brush. There are many tradesmen out there working very hard to satisfy the most difficult people, and doing a sterling job!!!!

Having watched the programme NEW HOMES FROM HELL on Channel Three Last Night.. I was wondering what happened to the Building Control Inspectors or for that matter what happened to the Warranty providers????

I understand once the plans have been approved by building control. They inspect the new property once completed to see if complies with the building regulations.... I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THESE PROPERTIES PASSED?

WHAT happened to the WARRANTY provider who checked the property prior to issuing the COVER NOTE... WHAT Happened to the so called REQUIREMENTS of the warranty provider. THE NEW PROPERTY WILL BE BUILD IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE REQUIREMENTS.. WHAT REQUIREMENTS????

Yes Mark Spot on, check palms for grease I think all round. I've seen new builds constructed by corgi this, niceic that etc and I wouldn't put my dog in there.As you say, what are the inspectors doing???

keyplayer said:
Yes Mark Spot on, check palms for grease I think all round. I've seen new builds constructed by corgi this, niceic that etc and I wouldn't put my dog in there.As you say, what are the inspectors doing???

I would say too busy looking at their extensive checklist and ticking boxes to notice the diabolical standards of work surrounding them!

I can think of a classical example of this in the boat building world.

The amount of times I found lights connected to the wrong circuit etc.

I imagine someone at the factory had switched ALL the lights on, and then walked around to see if they were all on... Which they would be, then tick. The fact that one of the cockpit lights came on when switching the saloon lights on wouldn't be noticed! Ho hum :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back