Proteus Switchgear Made In England.

K

kai

Has anyone considered using Proteus consumer units?
They are Made in Great Britain, so are free of any far eastern risks that may crop up.

Sponsored Links
Yes they are terrible! Their older RCBOs are so tall they fill up the entire height of the board. I've not seen any newer ones if they are any different.

Yes they are terrible! Their older RCBOs are so tall they fill up the entire height of the board. I've not seen any newer ones if they are any different.
Unlikely. I wouldn't want to get some to find out. Horrible switchgear

Sponsored Links
Yeah it's horrible stuff. I'd sooner use some far eastern gear and take the risk.

proteus and tamlite , get slagged off a lot usually from peoples past experiences years ago, when other makes did seem superior, however, lately I have witnessed some commercial proteus made panel assemblies and Tamlite light fittings and found there quality far superior to what it was, whilst noticed stuff like wylex, shneider, thorn and mk seem to have got worse.

I recently fitted a proteus 20A metal clad rotary isolator. The terminal screw heads all sheared off before they were tight.

It was promptly returned.

Tamlite have some ok stuff like their 1W led emergency lights but their pop packs are still dreadful.

I recently fitted a proteus 20A metal clad rotary isolator. The terminal screw heads all sheared off before they were tight.

It was promptly returned.

Tamlite have some ok stuff like their 1W led emergency lights but their pop packs are still dreadful.

We had the same issue a little while back with 63A versions and took six of them back to the wholesaler. The branch manager got out a torque driver, set it to to the maximum listed in the MI's and terminated 6mm wires, no damage resulted so we were refused a refund. I then undid the screws with a terminal driver just using thumb and forefinger and asked him if he thought it was secure. His answer MI's say it is. We took them back to another branch and they refunded ok.
I do thinks their commercial CU's are ok though.

That surprises me, I found the tamlite pop pack metal casing very heavy duty and also had a Tridonic ballast, whereas a thorn fitting recently nearly sliced my finger the metal was so thin

I saw a new Thorn emergency fitting when wpeking at a pub the other day, it was a rebadged Eterna. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back