Protherm 80e - Controller board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) Boiler make / model (gas or oil)
Protherm 80e Gas Combination Boiler

2) What is / is not happening.
When the front panel is closed the system shuts off, lights out. When it's open again it briefly displays -2 before then displaying the temperature.
Currently the on demand hot water is working just fine as expected.
The heating comes on if it's left on for long enough. Prior to this issue it used to come on as soon as turned on. Water temperature and radiator temperature is good.

3) Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently.
Corgi Service engineer came to service boiler, the pressure was around 0 before he did this. It's now back up at around 1.5

4) When did the problem start?
When he tried to service it. Sorry if this sounds like I'm blaming the engineer that's not my intention.

5) When does it happen? eg, heating coming on or going off.
When the case is closed (or flexed)

6) Anything else you feel may be of relevance.
Nothing was operational when engineer left but tweaking the power and temperature limit pots got it operational again (apart from the above problem).
Boiler is approx 9 years old, was last serviced in 2005 before I bought the house. Some people believe this to be a CZ boiler but my manual gives an address in Derbyshire. I also found this on another forum:

"Originally the Protherm 80e was made by Glow Worm for Travis Perkins. Travis Perkins have changed supplier so no longer stock any of these boilers / parts."

I intially thought that closing the case was putting strain on the wiring loom but I've not seen evidence of any loose wiring. It's possible that the main card has a dry joint or hairline crack that goes open circuit when the panel is flexed but there's no obvious visual issue.

Main PCB is V2.0

Does anyone know a friendly North London gas engineer who is happy to work on an Protherm 80e (with or without bargepole)? I believe there's a handful of suppliers out there who can supply a replacement board if that's needed, I've contacted one of them and I've also contacted Glowworm to see if they can supply spares.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a pcb fault (not uncommon on this model), glow worm do fixed price repairs 01773 828100 and ususally have the parts on the van, no major merchants stock spares afaik and there can be a few days wait if you need to special order.

If this is the same as the Jaguar then I think the PCBs are fairly easily available.

Tony

Sponsored Links
sounds like a pcb fault (not uncommon on this model), glow worm do fixed price repairs 01773 828100 and ususally have the parts on the van, no major merchants stock spares afaik and there can be a few days wait if you need to special order.

That worked. Back in November when I had this issue, I rang these people and they told me they were in fact Valient, they could fix the boiler and their service was run by Homeserve. I paid a one off fee of £250 for a visit and "any parts" (except heat exchanger and one other) and the Valient engineer turned up, diagnosed the issue (dodgy controller card) and returned a couple of days later with the part which he replaced and the boiler worked fine until this week.

Now we are getting a F2/-2 error and the water is hot but the central heating is not. I suspected either the hot water thermostat (which is what the F2 error means) or the divertor valve. Today's engineer (friend of the above chap) also believes it's the divertor valve.

He quoted £250-£300 to replace the divertor valve but believes that the best option is to replace the whole boiler as yet more things could go wrong.

Just what else can go wrong with these boilers?
How much is too much to spend on keeping an older boiler running?
This is the second person who's suggested replacing it, are they perhaps right?

If it were an 80E then that price would be way too high!

Unfortunately I cannot visualise the boiler without seeing it or a photo.

I cannot imagine that replacing it ( if that were really necessary! ) would be little more than half of that. But I dont think it is the diverter valve anyway!

These are really very simple boilers which are very reliable when they are fitted to a clean system.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back