PRV leaking, high pressure wont stop increasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please if someone can help

I had low pressure in my biasi boiler, I increased the pressure with the filling loop, and the pressure keeps going up even when I turned the valve off. And also I bled the radiator but still pressure did not go down.

When I went to the back of the building I see the bent pipe outside is leaking continuously everyday, I attached some images, if someone can please give me a clue what the problem is

Attachments

• 20180402_120952.jpg
    20180402_120952.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 279
  • download.png
    download.png
    395.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 20180401_195806.jpg
    20180401_195806.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 273
Sponsored Links
The black handle on filling loop may not be closing the valve spindle below. Undo screw ,remove handle and close shaft with spanner. To test if then OK ,undo nut on left pipe ( the one on end of filling loop ) and disconnect loop ,carefully because water may continue to flow out if valves failed totally.

In the centre of the plastic Black handled valve is a screw, remove the handle to see if the valve has actually closed.
EDIT Terry beat me to it. o_O

Take the braided hose off the filling loop to check if there is still water running, have a bucket handy. You have turned the black plastic handle to the off position but the brass valve spindle may still be on the on position.

If it is you should remove the valve handle and turn the spindle with pliers to the off position.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your comments, do I have to turn the boiler off before I do this?

.Don't disconnect the hose its under ,3 bar pressure and water will spray everywhere as soon as you undo it ,and you will need more than a bucket !!!! Yes turn the boiler off electrically.

Turn your incoming stopcock off.
Then start investigating the filling loop hose... unless you can find an isolating valve that is upstream of filling loop.

Don't disconnect the hose its under

The reason it is a flexible hose is to allow it to be disconnected and thus ensure that no matter what happens contaminated water from the radiators cannot flow back in the mains water supply.

It is a backward step that some boilers now have built in filling "loops" that depend on valves not leaking.

The reason it is a flexible hose is to allow it to be disconnected and thus ensure that no matter what happens contaminated water from the radiators cannot flow back in the mains water supply.

Quite so Bernard ,but its not supposed to be disconnected whilst under 3 bar pressure ,which my post is specifically advising Not to do.

terry plumb said:
Quite so Bernard ,but its not supposed to be disconnected whilst under 3 bar pressure ,which my post is specifically advising Not to do.

Perhaps I was a bit lax in not making the points that

1) both valve must be off / shut before the hose is removed.
2) the securing nut at one end of the hose should be turned very slowly to allow water under pressure to ouse out of the joint.
3) water will ouse out until the pressure in the hose has been disipated.
3) if the water continues to ouze out then suspect one of the valves is not fully off.

Perhaps I was a bit lax in not making the points that

1) both valve must be off / shut before the hose is removed.
2) the securing nut at one end of the hose should be turned very slowly to allow water under pressure to ouse out of the joint.
3) water will ouse out until the pressure in the hose has been disipated.
3) if the water continues to ouze out then suspect one of the valves is not fully off.

Now your cooking Bernard !! (y)(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back