PRV Regs question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm currently going through some interesting problems around getting my boiler onto a maintenance contract.

BG are telling me that my Combi's PRV is terminated incorrectly as it exits via the fascia board and could vent hot water on someones head in the back garden. They advised that the best solution is to run the pipe straight downwards and out at low level.

Due to the location of the boiler (in a cupboard upstairs next to a chimney) it will be very hard to re-route the PRV in this way. I've been quoted about a days labour to move the pipe to conform in this way.

BG suggested that I could keep the PRV running upwards and out by the fascia but have it setup so that the pipe sprays back onto the house avoiding any injury.

To save me having this done and it still failing their inspection, could someone please point me in the direction of the legislation around this? I'm struggling to find anything other than how people normally do it.

Cheers,
Martin

Sponsored Links
it will say in the boiler manufactures installation and service manuel,
the makers manuel compliments or supersedes regulations.

the discharge should be extended to terminate safely,away from appliance
to a point were a discharge would not course damage to persons or property but would be detected,the pipe should be able to whithstand boiling water.
be a minimum of 15mm diameter,AND NOT INCLUDE ANY UPWARD PIPE RUNS,or horizontal runs prone to freezing.

A load of waffle,please point out exactly where that info has come from.

its an example of a combi boiler instructions manuel

to a point were a discharge would not course damage to persons or property but would be detected,the pipe should be able to whithstand boiling water.
be a minimum of 15mm diameter,AND NOT INCLUDE ANY UPWARD PIPE RUNS,or horizontal runs prone to freezing.

Sponsored Links
That's close to what Baxi put it their Mi's but completely different to Vaillant and not even close to what Glowworm used to recommend for a particular boiler that could have a vertical PRV(DOC at the lowest point for maintenance)

PRV's don't have to by design cope with boiling water.

If you want a BG contract you will have to do it their way.

If you don't like it you will have to go elsewhere for your service contract.

If you could post some pictures that would help.

From your description it sounds like just sticking an elbow on the end would sort it.

Cheers guys,

I had a check in my worcester manual and it states something similar to what breadnbutter mentioned. However it doesn't mention upwards run's are not appropriate so I may be alright according to the manufacturer, right according to BG might be another matter...

May be a DIY job for me to add an elbow on soon!

its an example of a combi boiler instructions manuel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back