pull cord light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pull cord in my bathroom has broken. I tried to fix it but the mechanism inside has completely cracked and the springs buckled. I have brought a new one but cannot figure out how to wire it in. The original ran off one feed, quite simple a live, neutral and earth. The new one has a Load (live neutral and earth) and Feed (live neutral and earth). How do I wire one wire from the ceiling into this new switch?
Many thanks. Richard

Sponsored Links
You appear to have a DP switch for the replacement.

You need an SP switch.

BTW, the black in the cable to the switch is most probably a switchwire, not a neutral.

Is it a light switch you're replacing?

Wow, was not expecting such a quick reply, yes it is a bathroom light switch. I am a novice obviously but thought something like changing a light switch would be relatively easy. Not sure what SP or DP are! There is one wire from the ceiling and the new switch has 6 holes, 3 one side saying Feed (L N & E) and the other side Load (L N & E). Do I have the wrong type of switch or can it be done with the one I have?

It can be done with what you have.

Red to Live Feed

Black to Live Load

Earth to either of the earth terminals.

Is this switch round, like the old one, and a complete unit, or a square one that needs a flush or surface box to mount in?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your reply. It is square unit and in fact that was my next question. I was going to cut a hole for it to be mounted into the ceiling. Is this ok to do this?

You can cut a hole to mount the switch but you need to fit a mounting box into the hole you cut out. You must not mount the switch straight into the hole, leaving the terminals exposed at the other side of the ceiling.

The easiest bux to use is a dry lining box which is designed for mounting into a hole cut in plasterboard.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MTMDLB1.html

thankyou so much, first time I have used DIYnot and it is bloody good. Thanks

If you ahev got a square switch (wuth a red indicator light on it?) then you have probably bought wrong type. Check on the back of the switch, if it says 45A then you have got a switch for a power shower. Most lighting switches are round and will only have three terminals marked C, L1 and L2 plus a terminal for the earth wire.

If you have purchased a square 45A switch, go back to the shop and change it for a light switch - it will make your job a lot easier!

Many thanks, it is the square one with a light. Thing is, it is now fitted and working fine! Is it ok to keep it there?! Now i'm worried! I followed all the above advice and it seems to be fine.

trickster1978 said:
Many thanks, it is the square one with a light. Thing is, it is now fitted and working fine! Is it ok to keep it there?! Now i'm worried! I followed all the above advice and it seems to be fine.
It does indeed sound like you are using a 45A isolator (generally used for showers)
There is no problem in fitting a higher rated switch than is required, although it will cost you more and it is more difficult to terminate the wires into. This is because the wires will be so much smaller than is expected and could easily be missed by the terminal screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back