Pull cord switch to remote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there such a device that you can convert a ceiling pull cord switch to a remote control switch?

Sponsored Links
PITA to turn the lights on if someone has wandered of with the remote switch though.

Where is the pull switch located currently.

I doubt the remote switches are suitable for steamy environments such as bathrooms.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt replies!

Sorry that I must have sounded a bit dim to some of you.
Although I'm no expert, I thought it was a bit too easy just to convert a ceiling rose/pull cord to a flat remote switch.

The set-up is in a bedroom so no damp/wet issues.
(You can take that however you want!)
I do have a standard wall switch in conjunction with the pull cord. (Previous owners where an old couple who wanted a pull cord in near the bed!) Would I need to apply a remote switch for both pull cord and wall switch or can I simply have the wall switch and a remote for the pull cord?

If you have a two way setup at the moment then you will need to either use a master and a slave dimmer switch pair, and alter how the wiring is connected, or just remove the old pull switch and fit a remote dimmer in place of the existing wall switch.

This will enable you to switch the lights on / off manually from by the door, or with a remote control without the expense / additional work of installing the slave switch.

You could just blank off the existing pull switch, but leave the wiring in place should you or subsequent owners ever wish to reinstate it.

Thanks for the info.

I'll just remove the pull cord and replace the wall switch with a remote as per your advice.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back