Replace Pull cord in Bathroom with a switch - what are the options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom with a pull cord to switch the light on. I am wondering what solutions there are to change this to a switch that can be mounted outside that (a) does not need channelling into the wall and ceiling and (b) not require a remote item going in the light rose. This is because there is virtually no space in the ceiling (concrete block of flats).

I've seen things like Shelly 1, but understand they go in the light and there just isn't space for it so it falls foul of (b). I really would like something that can be maybe mounted where the pull cord goes into the ceiling and then that can be remote switched. Anything like that exist?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It might be easier to replace the pull cord with a PIR sensor.

Downsides are, if you eat a really hot curry, you may need to wave your arms during the exorcism. And unless you have one with a lux setting, even during the day time, the light will come on.

Sponsored Links
As jj suggested, I use 2 wireless switches on my garage to control the 8 leds in there it works well

It looks impressive, but how is the OP going to bury that in a concrete ceiling above the existing light fitting?
Why does he need to bury it? Possibly may go in a large ceiling rose cover mounted next to or instead of his existing one. Doesn't give dimensions unfortunately.

Why does he need to bury it? Possibly may go in a large ceiling rose cover mounted next to or instead of his existing one. Doesn't give dimensions unfortunately.

The OP mentioned that it is a concrete building and that there was very little space above the rose.

Taking his post at face value, and perhaps, incorrectly, assuming that he was correct, and that he might have metal/conduit back boxes, I cannot see how the OP will accommodate your recommended product.

That said, he may have suspended ceilings, in which case, your recommendation may well be ideal.

In my, very limited experience of working in concrete buildings, the wall and ceiling are solid concrete, the floors are suspended timber on the concrete- primarily to allow cables and pipes to be run.

Perhaps we need the OP to work out the depth of the available ceiling space

You may well be correct and I may have simply muddied the waters.

If he picks the right wireless switch module it will go where the pull cord is now quite possibly inside the housing of the pull cord if it's gutted, the modules aren't that big

I have a bathroom with a pull cord to switch the light on. I am wondering what solutions there are to change this to a switch that can be mounted outside that (a) does not need channelling into the wall and ceiling and (b) not require a remote item going in the light rose. This is because there is virtually no space in the ceiling (concrete block of flats).

I've seen things like Shelly 1, but understand they go in the light and there just isn't space for it so it falls foul of (b). I really would like something that can be maybe mounted where the pull cord goes into the ceiling and then that can be remote switched. Anything like that exist?

Thanks!
What is the problem with the pull switch?

Some people think you are not allowed a light switch in a bathroom.

Sometimes they put one outside the door.

They are mistaken.

It does depend on dimensions, though. We couldn't fit a wall switch inside, for example.

I certainly can.

Anyone who thinks switches are actually "not allowed" is mistaken. Even the doorway gives ample distance from the bath or shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back