Pull switch removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anybody help please. I want to remove a pull light switch from my spare room.

I have taken a few pics

First pic shows the pull switch wiring. 2 reds and one black. The other black cable has been cut.
and 2 earth going into terminal.

Second pic

Is the wall light switch.

There are 2 cables. 1 Goes through the wall to the switch on the other side however there looks looks like the red cable comes back with earth sleeve on it. The other cable comes down from the ceiling.

Any ideas how I can remove the pull switch would be appreciated

Many thanks
Nik

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 226
Sponsored Links
I don't use the pull switch the cord has been cut. I just use the wall switch as normal.

Sponsored Links
That wiring has been there since in moved in 2002 so I don't know much about it.

Cutting the cord makes no difference.

Do both switches have to be ON for the light to work?

Can we have pictures of the backs of both switches?

What do you mean cutting the cord makes no difference??

No both switches don't have to be on for the lights to work. they work as normal.

I will take a pic and put it on here

I wonder if, perhaps, it was the only sleeving available and was used to cover some defect in the red insulation?
Or some sort of attempt to try and protect the wire where it comes through the rear knock-out if not already damaged in some way?

But yes, the wiring is terrible.

I wonder if, perhaps, it was the only sleeving available and was used to cover some defect in the red insulation?
Or some sort of attempt to try and protect the wire where it comes through the rear knock-out if not already damaged in some way?
Possibly - but if that were the case, wouldn't one to expect there to be sleeving on all three conductors (all of which go through the same un-grommeted knock-out), not just one of them?

Kind Regards, John

What is the wiring like in the light fitting a photo would be good. It looks like power has been shoved in one end and taken from the other, but it doesn't look like one cable has been used for the strappers between the 2. I wonder if all the cables end up in the light fitting (or its junction box). It might be easier to convert than it looks. The wiring needs tidying up with rubber grommets and an earth connection to the metal switch etc....

What do you mean cutting the cord makes no difference?
I am trying to decipher your wiring.
The switch isn't altered by cutting the cord.
You may as well say the pull switch works the light; I don't touch the wall switch.

No both switches don't have to be on for the lights to work. they work as normal.
What is normal? The wiring isn't normal.

I'm not sure why your mentioning the cord as I only said in my opening mail the cord had already been cut. (not by me)

You may as well say the pull switch works the light; I don't touch the wall switch. ( why would I say that?)

When I say normal I mean normal IE: you walk into a room and turn the light on or you walk out of a room and turn the light off. that being the case for both rooms.

I'm not sure why your mentioning the cord as I only said in my opening mail the cord had already been cut. (not by me) ... When I say normal I mean normal IE: you walk into a room and turn the light on or you walk out of a room and turn the light off....
The point is that if there is any of the cord left, if you could tell us what happens to the lights when you pull it, that might help us to understand how it has been wired.
... that being the case for both rooms.
What are these 'both rooms'? Does the switch control lights in two rooms at the same time?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back