Pull switch removal

Sponsored Links
I have no Idea what happened to the cord as it was missing when I moved in. The cord is not visible at all so I am unable now or in the past to use it. When I say working normal I mean what you would expect a switch to do when you use it. Click the switch down the light comes on. Click the switch up the light goes out.
Thanks - that's all as I suspected from what you had said.
There are no problems between the rooms as far as turning the lights on and off via the wall switches.
Do these two rooms both have light switches - and, if so, do you know which (or both) is 'related' to the pull switch? If there are two switches, do I take it that each switch just controls the light in one of the rooms?

Kind Regards, John

Do these two rooms both have light switches - Yes
Do you know which (or both) is 'related' to the pull switch? - Don't know
If there are two switches, do I take it that each switch just controls the light in one of the rooms? - Yes

Sponsored Links
Do you know which (or both) is 'related' to the pull switch? - Don't know
Thanks for the answers. As regards the above question, is the pull switch in one of the rooms that has a light switch?

I think one of the problems we're going to have is that, as I understand it, since you've never been able to operate that pulls witch, I presumke that you don't really actually know for sure whether or not it has got anything to do with the lights/switches in either of the rooms - it might possibly have been for something totally different! I therefore suspect that we are going to struggle to give you much advice 'at a distance'.

Kind Regards, John

Yes the pull switch is in one of the rooms that has a light switch.

I'm guessing the pull switch is for the lights as there is a pull switch above the bed in the bedroom. I know that one did turn the light on and off in the Bedroom. My partner got fed up with the cord and decided to cut that one right back the clever girl!!!

FWIW, my guess is that there are T&E strappers (travelers for PBC:)) between the two switches, then at the wall switch a feed is piggy-backed off the switch next door and at the rose the switchwire links to the pull cord.

FWIW, my guess is that there are T&E strappers (travelers for PBC:)) between the two switches, then at the wall switch a feed is piggy-backed off the switch next door and at the rose the switchwire links to the pull cord.
Not impossible. The problems is obviously that none of us can do anything other than speculate. As I've said, we do not even know for certain that the pull switch has got anything to do with the lighting! It wouldn't take most of us very long on site with a meter to work out what is going on - but, 'at a distance' .... !!

Kind Regards, John

Only today I removed a 2 way wall switch which had the common terminal next to L1, and L2 at the opposite end.

So the chances are this 2 way system is in full working order, and we MAY be fussing over nothing.

So the chances are this 2 way system is in full working order, and we MAY be fussing over nothing.
It's probably a 2-way switching system, it may be "in full working order", the unused pull switch may be related to the wall switch in the same room and there may (or may not) be JBs somewhere in the equation - but there is a lot of uncertainty there!

We are 'fussing' because the OP asked for advice on how to decommission' the pull-switch - but, without turning all those uncertainties into certainties, I would suggest that we can't really advise him, at a distance, what to do.

Kind Regards, John

Looks like we aren't making much progress.

Something to try (you can always put it back if I am wrong).
You are going to need a piece of insulated terminal block. (3way)

Turn the power off to the lighting circuit at the fuseboard.

Connect the black to one of the reds in the terminal block
Put the other red in a separate bit of terminal block
Connect the two earth wires together in another separate bit of terminal block.
Turn the power back on.
If the wall switch seems to operate upside down, then swop over the two reds.

Looks like we aren't making much progress. ... Something to try (you can always put it back if I am wrong). ..... If the wall switch seems to operate upside down, then swop over the two reds.
If that test resulted in the behaviour you/we suspect, it would certainly allow us to understand what is going on at the two switches.

However, even if your test confirms that the pull swith is a functioing 'two-way-parner' of the wall switch in the room, I'm a little uncertain/concerned as what we are then going to advise the OP to do. With only that information, the only thing I can think of (but wouldn't regard as remotely 'nice') would be to put the conductors into an MF JB, with one pair connected as now, and then push the JB up through a hole in the ceiling (and then 'entomb it' with a ceiling repair) after removing the pull switch.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry for the delay in replying

I have had a look at the switch and can tell you the following

Black goes into the com on the switch
Red goes into the 2 way on the switch
Red with Sleeve goes into 1 way switch

I have attached a pic I drew of what it looks like in the loft I hope it makes sense???

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 107
Not really. To work outwhat everything is connected we would want to know what wires are connected to what at each of the points.

Did you try my suggestion?, that may bypass the need to do any of this……

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back