Pulling in deck boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now that I have now completed the frame of my deck, I've started to lay the boards. The first few that went down were dead straight but others are slightly warped (some are way off, but I'll use them as facing material).

Is there a good technique for straightening these boards as they are laid?

Apologies if this is a repost - the search didn't bring anything up.

Sponsored Links
start at one end getting them fixed down, as you work along teh board they normally either close the gap up or widen out. We use a large flat blade screwdriver to push the gap if needs be, or hammer the end of the blad into teh frame and pull the board back in as you go

I used to use 2 bolsters to set the gap and pull and push like a maniac to close the gap but i have a new technic ;)

I use some thick nails ( whatever size gap you want ) and very lightly chap the nails tight to the board which is already down on each joist. Start to lay the boards with the bend OUT the way and work your way along pushing against the nail and screwing as you go.

If it is really bent you may want to go half way then skip to the end whilst you still have enough leverage to bend it round and go back rather than trying to bend 50cm at the end!

Works a treat! When you get to the end just quickly pull the nails out and chap them in ready for the next row.

Some may argue that you are creating a wee hole in the joist for water to penetrate but i dont think its an issue in the bigger scheme of things!

Point to consider...............I used to spend ages trying to get the boards with EXACTLY the same gap. I have to remind myself that wood is a natural thing and as much as we can ASK it to take a shape, we cant MAKE it. As soon as it gets a bit of frost / sun / rain etc etc it will all move and change shape anyway to a certain extent. Basically, try to get it as straight as you can but dont go nuts, in the long run it will move as they all do and it will look just fine :D

With gap in mind remember that the boards will shrink when dry and expand when wet. If you leave a big gap and they are wet you could loose a child when they dry out ;) Even if they appear to be very dry they could still be holding lots of moisture as most standard decking boards are stored outside. If during the summer we get a few weeks of sunshine the gaps will increase!

Hope that makes sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back