Pulsacoil III - Identifying Cause of Overflow - Block of flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a block of flats (there's 6 of us). Today, I noticed that an exterior overflow pipe that we share is continuously dripping.

I have contacted the management company. They advise that we will all have to hire plumbers and investigate what the problem is (as it will be a problem originating from inside one of our flats).

Is there any way for me to easily rule myself in / out of being the cause?

We all have PULSACOIL III electric hot water heaters. The dripping water (which is above my flat -- and which I can just about reach -- is lukewarm. So I could guess it's coming from someones PULSACOIL.

I have done the following:

> turned off my mains water tap and opened taps and toilet.

The leak continued.

> checked hot water

No obvious loss in temperature or pressure.​

I could also drain the water heater. And see if the leak continues?

Otherwise, is there anything I can easily do? Thanks a lot in advance.

Sponsored Links
The only overflow your cylinder would have is from the top feed and expansion tank. If you can check the level in the top tank to see if it's at the overflow level or not, if not then it's probably not you.

If the dripping overflow pipe is above the level of your cylinder then chances are it's upstairs as each cylinder should have it's own.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Not sure exactly what the overflow level of the top tank is. After looking into the top tank, there is an upward facing pipe right near the top of it -- near the lip of the opening. I am guessing this is where water would drain out *if* there water were that high. However, the water level is no-where near this pipe at the top of the top tank. And it doesn't seem to be going up or down, presently.

The dripping overflow pipe is maybe a meter directly over where my cylinder. I've had a look for any additional exterior overflow pipes. But the leaking one seems to be the only one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back