puma 80 , repair or replace ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok , we had our Puma 80 for 16 years now . over that time pretty much everything has been replaced at some point ( love that morning i turned heating on to a circuit board catching fire ! , that woke me up )

anyway , during this year we have had a stick flow switch , now fixed

now in the last few week the pilot light seems to go out ( not straight away , can be hours or days , seems to go out when not doing anything , ie no CH/HW )

now last night it decided not to flame up at all ! , Relay 2 was not clicking , but everything else clicking and making nosies like it should , just no relay 2 and no big flames :) ... this was the same for Hot water , and CH.

wife getting fed up now , we are suppose to have our first holiday without kids next week ( my sister staying ) but dont want her to have boiler issues...

(also fan bearings i think are noisy now ! )

i woke up this morning , tried heating on constant , nothing again , and no hot water from tap ( well apart from what pilot light heated over night )

had a shave , then thought i would do a quick video it not working to show eveyone here ... flicked the CH switch on and off and nothing ... then on last flick ..whooosh ... flames !! arrrrrrrrrr ( and relay 2 clicking away now )

1) any ideas ? i thought it could be air pressure switch , but i know i need pro in for that
2) is it time to spend the money and replace with a new boiler ? and if so any recommendations ?

regards

matt

Sponsored Links
In my view these are totally repairable boilers and I keep a good selection of spare parts for them.

But not that many engineers want to repair them and prefer the more profitable job of fitting a new boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
ok , popped home at lunch , no time to check PCB , but boiler running fine.

The Fan / bearings are pretty noisy ( i assume its fan , noise is up high in boiler )

I know bearings are cheap etc , but i assume to get to fan you have to go via the combustion chamber ? which i should not do correct ?

You should not even open the combustion chamber.

The fans are expensive for that model.

They are one where I do consider using the repaired fans from CET etc. which are much cheaper.

But I did go to a boiler where the owner had not called me and someone else fitted an Adlink repaired fan and it had failed at 13 months! She was not sure if she had paid the price for a new one or not, silly woman!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back