Puma 80 with failed CP61 pump and loose pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have puma 80, failed this week. I have followed fault finding chart and concluded that pump failed as it did not operate after boiler fired up. After short time boiler shut itself down probably overheat protection and pilot went out. I went to local merchant he sold me DAB VA 55 pump, my first mistake as this pump has 1 1/2 instead of 1 inch union. He said that head will fit but it can't fit over Myson CP61 pump. As I was removing old pump I also had managed to loosen up pipe that connects top of the pump with heath exchange box. To get to this I need to open this box but this is sealed compartment so I am not sure if I can open this. This is top of the boiler right hand side it has two small screws holding cover. The pipe bends above pump and comes along the side of the boiler and enters sealed unit at the right hand side.

Any advice on pump or how to fix loose pipe? or where I could get new CP61 or head in London N or NW. I have found some internet places but I would like to pick it up before weekend so I can have shower at last.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get a CP63 at any good plumbers merchant. A CP53 will also work adequately.

If you really cannot find one then give us a call.

I cannot understand the rest of your box and pipe bit.

Tony Glazier

Use the old head , and the motor bit of a CP63.

The joint you've disturbed is an 18mm O ring, potty part no 929566. Held by a clip, but it may well NOT leak.

There's nothing sealed that you need to get into.
Instrs are at partsarena.com/baxi

To replace just the head you need to undo the 4 alan key bolts ;)
the new one will probably only have 2 bolts but dont worry as it will seal ok still ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for help.

I have found replacement pump, in fact I only got the head IDEAL and it has 4 screws with seal to fit old Myson pump case/body. I have also discovered that old pump body is well corroded inside so that small channel where ring seal is held has gone in places. It did seal OK. What a relief and joy to see this old boiler work again, proper job satisfaction. Disturbed joint did not leak, so Chris you were right, also thanks for link.

few of questions:

1. how serious is this corrosion, i.e. is it normal for 9 year old boiler and how can this be stopped, flushing the system, inhibitor etc. I am more concerned about efect on other parts such as Heat Exchanger apparently expensive to fix.

2. New pump seems to be really hot, more that the water temerature, is this normal, also it has 3 settings I have left this on 2 is this ok. Myson pump had no settings.

3. What would be expected life for Puma 80 if any of you there have experience on the matter. Can I do anything to extend it, it is in hard water area.

put pump on speed 3 as the old one would have been on that setting permanantly also pump will get hot as water running through it gets upto 80 degrees plus ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back