Pump Boosted water system - fixed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not an expert but got called to the Mother-in-law today for "no water". It's a development of assisted flats, all single level. My wife confirmed the lack of water before I arrived so I started with the external mains tap (on the basis that the local youths might have interfered with it). The water supplier had told my wife where the box was and said they had read the meter the previous day. Whilst that pointed me at the tap, as soon as I saw it I knew there was no way the lid had been lifted and they could not have seen the figures on the guage. But it was all ok.
I should have looked at the taps first. Yes no flow because she had tested the mixer tap on fully hot. On fully cold there was plenty of pressure.
The set up in the cupboard is a cold tank at ceiling level and a pump on the floor. All outlets (hot and cold) go through the pump. The pump was not working.
Out with the British Gas agreement. An Engineer turns up 4 hours later and says it's not a leak so he can't do anything. Even if we paid he still couldn't because "I'm not an expert on those pumps".
By 4:00pm on a Saturday, our options were slim. I came home and did a bit on the net and came up with this site...
http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/default.aspx?page=281
It seems it's a 'Negative Twin' and has a pressure cylinder. From their literature link I found it was pressurised with a tyre pump.
15 Minutes later the cylinder was re-inflated and all services restored.
Perhaps it's not a permanent fix but it'll do for now.
Also noticed that the closed pressured heating cicuit is dripping and I had to add some water to get it back up. For another day!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back