Pump in Baxi boiler works constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My neighbor has a problem with the boiler, or rather the pump. Earlier, when the boiler was turned off, the pump worked for 5 minutes and then it was silent. From 3 weeks, when the boiler stops, the pump works for 5 minutes, then silence for 5 minutes, and then it is turned on again for 5 minutes and so on. I can hear it through the bathroom wall. Vibration and noise spread throughout the house. I called a gas engineer to check our boiler and he said it was with the neighbors boiler. Their engineer said that it is the pump, but each pump works when the boiler turns off. But is it supposed to work practically all the time, day, night, several weeks? I think the pump should stop working when boiler off.

Sponsored Links
The pump has what’s called overrun, which is a timed period, usually about 5 minutes to dissipate any heat left, so not causing damage to the boiler or system. Something will be activating the pump, but they need someone who can identify the cause.

Probably a thermostat, because recently when a neighbor did something, it stopped for half a day. Then it started again. Do you think it could be a thermostat?

Not generally a thermostat, but more like a motorised valve, unless it’s a combi boiler?

Sponsored Links
This is the Baxi combi boiler.
Then yes, it could be a thermostat, pump overrun could have been altered if adjustable, they may even have a dripping tap, causing the boiler to fire up periodically.

Then yes, it could be a thermostat, pump overrun could have been altered if adjustable, they may even have a dripping tap, causing the boiler to fire up periodically.
Thank you very much for help me

Sensor, circuit board, dirty switch, wiring got wet..... could be all sorts.
If you can give the model name/number, someone in P & H may know typical faults for that boiler.

Sensor, circuit board, dirty switch, wiring got wet..... could be all sorts.
If you can give the model name/number, someone in P & H may know typical faults for that boiler.
Unfortunately, I do not know the model because my neighbor was offended that I question the opinions of her engineer who has been servicing them for 30 years. I just wanted help. Unfortunately, this noise is so loud and irritating that it does not allow us to function normally in our own home.

Unfortunately, I do not know the model because my neighbor was offended that I question the opinions of her engineer who has been servicing them for 30 years. I just wanted help. Unfortunately, this noise is so loud and irritating that it does not allow us to function normally in our own home.

I am looking at a ‘noisy’ boiler at the moment.
Nikita, are you in bearsden, Glasgow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back