Pump problem, anyone want to fix it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my pump. It is an old Myson Unit Three. It has two switched positions and a speed control. www.cydodimead.co.uk/DSC02917.JPG and www.cydodimead.co.uk/DSC02918.JPG

I have had problems with the heating since moving in Sept 2005 but have sorted most things now. I recently had to change a TRV and the angled bit of pipe so drained the system. When I re-filled and switched the boiler back on there was bit of noise but no worse than when you usually fill up a system. Over the next week or so I bleed various radiators but there is still a wooshing noise through the last pipe back to the boiler. I switched the pump to settting 2 to speed up the water flow but it was too fast and you could hear the water being puled around the pipes. I have turned it back to setting 1 but it does not seem to working as before. I can feel the pump working but it is not enough to pull the water around. I have a feeling the pump is knackered and am going to replace it. Thing is though I don't have a big enough spanner and it is very tight. You can see the limescale around the pipesin the photos. It is a single pipe gravity system with 4 radiators on it, one of those is a towel rail.

Is there any plumber in South East London who fancies the job and how much I am likely to pay for this?[/img]

Sponsored Links
It all looks in very poor condition and very old.

I would advise a complete new pump.

IF the pump unions came apart easily ( which might not be the case ) then we would charge £84 plus £60 which would include a boiler safety check.

Tony

Very old it is! The Pump Unions at going to be difficult to get apart. When I tried the entire pump started to revolve instead of the nut.

Sponsored Links
When would you like the job to be done time etc ?

You can contact me off forum at

cy AT cydodimead.co.uk change the AT to a @ of course

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back