Do I have the wiring correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have added a room thermostat to my gravity pumped system but am having some strange whoosing noises of air by the last radiator in the system. The wiring in the boiler BEFORE I added the room stat is the top image and AFTER is below. There are a few changes in the second pic because I could get all the cables into the terminal block. Should the pump remain LIVE the whole time the timer is on and then the boiler only kicks in when the room stat demands?

www.cydodimead.co.uk/jpegs/oldwiringcopy.jpg
www.cydodimead.co.uk/jpegs/newwiringcopy.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Forgot to mention it is a Potterton Flamingo 20-30 boiler and a Myson Unit 3 pump

Sponsored Links
If you are sure you have gravity hot water and pumped central heating -
1. The room stat should be controlling the pump only.
2. The timer should be enabling both boiler and roomstat.
3. Move boiler supply from 2 to 1 on your second diagram.
4. The boiler will cycle on its boiler stat, the pump will cycle on room stat.
5. You may need to bleed radiators (with system off) to solve noise problems.

Yes, here is a plan of the plumbing

www.cydodimead.co.uk/jpegs/Pipeworkcopy.jpg

So If I swap the boiler supply from 2 to 1 that will sort it? Before the room stat went in though the boiler and pump came on together and there was never a problem. Let me check this is right if I do what you say

1. Boiler comes on when timer is on
2. Pump will only run when call for heat from room stat
3. Boiler will go off when enough hot water in system
4. Boiler comes on once hot water being pumped becomes cold

Pump is on end of system so need to bleed radiators when system is off. Sorry if it seems like I am acting dumb but just double checking!

For gawds sake, reduce the size of the images you posted.
They're appear to be big enough to fully cover the side of a bus (and too big to display on my PC!).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back