pump strange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

should you be able to hear the water running through a pump as you can with mine and the downstairs radiators are cold

thankyou for your help

Sponsored Links
No,it means there is air in the pump as well as water.

Sponsored Links
First of all remember to switch the pump and boiler off before doing anything. Bleed the rads in the normal way (i.e. crack open vent valve on top of each rad until you get a sustained flow of water). If you have an airlock I found the following tip very useful. Find a rad with a drain outlet, shut off both sides of the rad, you’ll need a pair of pliers or a very small spanner to close one side. Put a hose pipe on the end of the drain outlet (or use a bucket) and then open ONE of the valves, you may hear some gurgling for a short while. Close this valve and do the same on the other side of the rad – only open one side of the rad at anyone time. You may have to do this process 2 or 3 times. Close valve and close drain. Open up both valves again. You may like to check that your feed and expansion tank is filling the system while you are doing this as it’s from here that the lost water is replenished. To pressurise the system you could close all the control valves on each rad except one. Set the boiler off running and let run for 20 mins. Slowly crack open each rad until all rads are fully open. If you still have rads that are cooler than the rest then its likely that you have a balancing problem (see ref sticky for common problems), you have a restriction or blockage in your pipe or the pump is knackered. I am no plumber and someone will undoubtedly question my method but it’s worked for me.
MB67

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back