Puncture repair.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does this look likely repairable?! Or am i going to be told that new tyre required?!
Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_0457.JPG
    DSC_0457.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 398
Sponsored Links
This is out of the official puncture repair zone, I'm afraid.....although some unscrupulous fitters will give it a go, more than likely!
John :)

Yeah, generally the shoulder of a tyre is out of bounds for repair. Such a shame!

Its out of bounds for a standard plug type repair, but if the tyre is worth it you could opt for a "major" repair via a commercial vehicle tyre place.

It will take some time (needs to be sent away) and cost around £30

Sponsored Links
it is repairable as it is not on the side wall, and still has fair amount of depth for a plug type repair. I have had many done around close to edges.

Yes but plug repair is not permitted this close to the edge. As discussed, unscrupulous tyre places will try.

There's a British Standard which applies to plug repairs. Major repairs are something different.

Never knew this was the case, i.e. not permitted if close to an edge, its new to me, when I had similar punctures close to edge, but not on the edge, a local tyre fitter promptly repaired it without referring to any legal issues with regards to permitted repairs, though I thought it was more to do with technical issues such as not enough depth or material and I know about side walls cannot be repaired.

Thanks for this information, you are rest assured it will be stored in my head from now on.

I carry a similar system on my motorbike when I'm touring, and I've used it once - strictly as a get me home repair. I kept the speed well down, but it did the job perfectly for 150 miles.
I trust the pro puncture repairs perfectly, but that's like a rubber mushroom inserted from within the tyre with vulcanising solution. No way that can fail!

But it doesn't look a week old tyre in the picture, it must be a used tyre then.

There is car website ( http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1111747 )that is dedicated to cars, pistonheads, and read the different views of posters there, personally i think people like Kwickfit are bound to say no it can't be repaired since it would be beneficial for them to sell you a new tyre and get rid of then old one to some contractors who may be happy to pay like a tenner for it and they can sell it on as second hand tyres.

Personally, I would have no issuers with going ahead for a simple plug fix, I don't drive at mad speeds on motorways and have driven many cars with punctures near or close to an edge, most are for some reason close to an edge, I even remember one tyre company fixed the puncture whilst the tyre was still on the car and the screw could be seen easily, he took the screw out and plugged the hole and applied some bubbling solution and leak stopped. It was a low puncture.

Onew time a broken glass slashed my tyre about an inch wide, that could not be fixed, and it was a rapid deflation as I accidently drove over a broken bottle base with a sharp protrusion.

Last edited:
The criteria for puncture repairing is set down by BS AU159, not by any tyre provider. Anyone who repairs tyres outside of this criteria could find themselves liable in the event of failure.
Tyres are cheap enough - the risk simply isn't worth it and could void insurance.

I don't disagree with any of you, since we are debating, but certainly it is new to me, I have been ,motoring now for nearly 40 years and I had never before come across any such rule that there was a legal restriction on the area that a puncture can be mended. I actually have a puncture on one of my cars so I will be visiting my local tyre repair man, see what he has got to say about it, he also sells used tyres. I bet he probably won't have a clue about the BS AU159.

Major versus minor repairs though, both covered in AU 159G.

If you want a road legal repair in a edge zone it's got to be the former, marked by the repairer to ensure clarity of what's been done. In the case of a major repair, you can only have one done per tyre, once during its life.

Sponsored Links
Back