Push fits

For 2 terminal blocks, yes it is always a problem that they rotate & yes the mechanical fixing is only by virtue of the soldered pad.

Which is why I always make sure that the pads are as large as I can make them to give a good solder joint & adhesion to the laminate.

And using bigger terminal locks when there is a likelyhood that it may be used more than once (often they are just screwed & left for many years).

Sponsored Links
There's even dust / protection caps, so bye bye choc boxes, bye bye choc screw terminals :LOL:
Do the dust protection caps completely enclose the individual conductors where you've removed the sheath from T/E?

Could they be described as compression terminals ?
I don't think so.

I don't see why not, assuming they're housed within an enclosure.
After all, it wouldn't be much different to Hagars maintenance free junction box, sold as suitable for inaccessible locations and complying with BS7671

Hagar maintenance free junction box
They may be maintenance free, but that's not quite all that is required. They may claim that they comply with 526.3 in a way that allows them to be inaccessible, but are they right?

Firstly their wording is a bit coy and vague, trying to talk only about them being maintenance free, but 526.3 requires accessibility for inspection & testing - is this product also inspection free and testing free?

Secondly, unless I'm (yet again) the victim of a change in wording between the DPC and the final version, 526.3 talks about a joint made by a compression tool, and I don't see how a push-fit connector qualifies.

I'm sure the products are excellent, and offer many benefits in ease & speed of installation, reliability etc, but I don't believe that they don't have to be accessible...

I'm sure the products are excellent, and offer many benefits in ease & speed of installation, reliability etc, but I don't believe that they don't have to be accessible...

They have to be accessible. I will get out the red book tonight but when I last read it I think they don't comply with 526.3 (not a compression fitting). We use them in side galv conduit trouser boxes when fitting downlighters with stuffing glands. Loop in Loop out in one leg, switch in the other leg then the body I usally use that for the output to the transformer. They are great but reading the red book they still need to be accessable. I use a gasket and ip44 glands if I am fitting them in a loft and screw the entire thing down to a joist. I also earth it using a inuslated crimp and a 4mm brass bolt. Works really well.

I use the wago ones from RS, the orange ones for 1mm t+e.

Never had an issue with one. Have allot of customers with these fitted.

Adam

I also earth it using a inuslated crimp and a 4mm brass bolt.

Would you elaborate on that ?

As for jointing, they must be accessible you shouldn't use them as crimps and shrink replacement.

I believe you can get dust caps for them, but in a box or ceiling cap I wouldn't bother and where else would they go ?

Underfloor, inaccessible or buried aren't allowed.

Sponsored Links

Flylead to earth the overkill galvanised conduit box with gasket and IP44 glands - in a loft!
Don't they have roof tiles in your area? :LOL:

Also, you wouldn't be taking flat twin and earth cable into an IP44 stuffing gland designed for round cables would you?

you can get glands for flat t&e they have been around for over 30 years
after having said that not had the need for them in a long time

Dont like them, don't trust them, don't have any faith in their claims of compliance in some areas, don't use them.

Chocs and compression crimps for me, all the way.

Flylead to earth the overkill galvanised conduit box with gasket and IP44 glands - in a loft!
Don't they have roof tiles in your area? :LOL:

Also, you wouldn't be taking flat twin and earth cable into an IP44 stuffing gland designed for round cables would you?

Looks overkill the entire thing costs about £4 and I can get it off the shelf. It works really well. Next time I do one I will take a photo. The glands I use can accept twin and earth cable. As its a metal box I consider it good practice to use a flylead, crimp and bolt so everything is earthed via the bolt and not using a wago connector. What's wrong with going over the top with a job :p They look really good in a loft as well.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back