Putting my old electric cooker into a new property

it's hard to cross 10mm over if it's laid in the wall the wrong way.. and to be fair, most cooker conection units aren't marked..

the person who took their cooker out last probably left it like that, not the installing electrician

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify, this is a new build apartment from a housing association and I am the first tenant to live in it.

the person who took their cooker out last probably left it like that, not the installing electrician

Sorry CJ, he's the first tenant so bad installation.
For my own peace of mind I would want to know that brown was actually live and not the blue.

Thank you to everybody who contributed. All the advice was spot on. The cooker is now installed and working.

Funnily enough as well as putting the neutral and live in the wrong blocks, the cooker and hob switches are the wrong way round, bearing in mind one is 20 amp fuse and the other is a 40 amp fuse this could have been a bigger issue. its a good job I turned off all the electricity though rather than just the one I needed. Also when I installed a washing machine I noticed they had the hot and cold the wrong way round, so I have had to put the blue hose on the red pipe and vice versa.

You would really not think this would happen in a new build

Once again Cheeers

Sponsored Links
Make a list of all the faults you find and notify the landlord.
Cover your backside mate.

I take it you mean the handles on the valves for the water? it's and easy fix, unscrew the screw in the middle of the handle and swap then over.

bear on mind that the hob would be the 40A circuit and should have the 40A switch on it, the "cooker" circuit should be marked as "oven" and be the 20A with the 20A switch..

company I worked for did the same.. installed "cooker" switches on the 40A circuit and got some nice 20A DP switches engraved with "HOB", until I pointed it out... they swore some then made me change all 40 when the new blank cooker switches came in engraved with "HOB" and the new 20A DP switches came in engraved as "OVEN"..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back