putting my router upstairs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya. I have my sky wireless router connected to my only phone socket downstairs, as thats where my main computer is. But i want it moved upstairs into my daughters room so my question is, is there anyway of doing this (extensions etc) without paying BT to put in an extra socket in upstairs? I dont mind paying them if i have to but have heard its quite alot! thanks :D

Sponsored Links
You can use an wireless access point to do this. You will not need any wired connection. Install the access point upstairs. And then configure it to connect to the router at downstairs router wirelessly. I have used many access points to do this. Linksys, D-Link etc. I used Linksys WAP54G. Any access point will do. You will have to make the name of wireless network same for the access point. The access will connect to the router. Laptop will connect to the access point. Make the following items same for both access point and router:

1. Name of the wireless network
2. Security: For example WEP, WPA2-PSK, etc and also the key.

The mode of the access point need be changed to repeater.

Before you buy anything download a manual for any access point from manufacturer website. Linksys, D-Link, Netgear and many more. There is clear description how to configure an access point as repeater.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
... or a wireless USB adapter. Either way, should be easier and quicker than setting up an access point. I have mine set up this way (router downstairs, PC with USB adapter upstairs) and have set others up in the same style, no problems and supported by the router with no difficulties.

Back