Putting up concrete posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I am constructing a fence to screen off the neighbours (nothing personal just want a bit of privacy) I will be using 6ft x 6ft fence panels and will be ordering some 8 ft concrete posts shortly.

The problem i have got is that to concrete the posts in the ground I am guessing that I will have to dig down approx 2ft and that is the problem I live in a limestone area and the previous owner has very kindly backfilled where i want to put my posts with limestone rocks. I have seen some met posts on ebay but when i asked they said that they were for wooden posts only. Is there anything out there that i can hammer into the ground to support the posts or is it a case of digging down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Dig.

Are these stones to fill in where he previously had fence posts? How big are the stones?

The previous fence was only small approx 2ft and made of wood. The stones are anything between 1-6 inches long and have been used as backfill.

Of course you could always switch to timber posts if you haven't ordered those concrete ones yet. Get the concrete-in metpost and you probably won't have such a large hole to dig, they need about an 18" cube of concrete to support them.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to jump onto the bandwagon...but as a rule, is it preferable to use concrete posts and concrete fill (with rubble/stones for added strength) than use timber posts with metal posts (presume they are 'met posts'?).
I'll be using 5 foot panels with a gravel panel at the base - I guess this means the concrete posts will be 8 foot?

Cheers.
NB

yes

yes

And if you want to, you can treat the RC posts and gravel boards with dark brown masonry paint to make them blend into the fence, and give a little extra protection against rain penetration and frost damage. to my eye it looks better.

whatever posts you use, avoid met posts. They rust through quickly, they never drive in straight and theyre more effort than digging a hole and using concrete. theyre just as much hassle to get out

i agree with thermo on the metpost issue. I hve thrown more away than i have been able to use, they will just bend ordrive in at an angle.

As you are the labour in this equation it would be better to take the time to dig out decent holes and put concrete posts in could even use the stone removed for a rockery or mulch or something

ModernMaterials said:
i agree with thermo on the metpost issue. I hve thrown more away than i have been able to use, they will just bend ordrive in at an angle.

me too (sorry)

Thermo said:
whatever posts you use, avoid met posts. They rust through quickly, they never drive in straight and theyre more effort than digging a hole and using concrete. theyre just as much hassle to get out

Just for the record, does this also apply to metpost bolt-downs? or are they ok? As that's my current plan regarding my fence, which is going into an existing concrete slab.

They are a lot easier to use in that situation and longer lasting as they are not rusting away in the ground. I sometimes use them in that situation or cut through the slab and dig a hole down, but making good can be probl;ematic, but it gives a better finish than the metpost sitting there.

A lot depending on the height of the fence panel, they're okay for low panel. By the time you drill 4 holes with the SDS drill, you might as well break out the concrete to slot the post in unless the concrete is very deep.

masona said:
A lot depending on the height of the fence panel, they're okay for low panel. By the time you drill 4 holes with the SDS drill, you might as well break out the concrete to slot the post in unless the concrete is very deep.

Aha, good point, I'm gonna use 6' panels, and have the posts at 8' high! Gonna put some trellis or barbed wire up there, to help keep people out (it's very dark down the end and backs onto an alley)

So I'm back at square one, and I was gonna get the metposts tomorrow too.
Although the concrete slab could be pretty deep, we have a double garage sitting on it so it should be able to hold the weight of 2 cars. I've got 1000² foot of 18mm mdf sitting on the garage floor at the moment, and the floor hasn't cracked or anything. Could be up 6 inches of 'crete I reckon.

This job is turning into a mare! :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back