Putting up Field Fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me any advice on what tools to use for putting up a field fence with wire keeping the tension nice and high?

I intend on using round posts and want to have chicken wire along the bottom 3ft with a length of barbed wire along the bottom and a length of wire towards the top of the posts. But I can find very little online describing how to put a sufficient amount of tension on the wire and how best to fix it. The boundary is about 50m long.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
You'll need a properly set and braced strainer post at each end of the run. Tension each of the support wires with one of these:

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mv...0;jsessionid=BB41364727320C45AA7D3199008B1375

One end of the wire is attached to one of the strainers by wrapping it around the post and around itself. One part of the tensioner grips the wire and ratchets to the other part which in turn is fixed around the other strainer to apply tension to the wire - it's fairly obvious how they work. You might even be able to hire them.

You'll need a pair of fencing pliers too.

Sponsored Links
I used straining bolts (sometimes called hook and eye turnbuckles) on my fencing - very cheap and easy to use. Only a few quid each and simply tighten by hand and draws the wire together. My fence wires twang like a violin and have been up for several years. I've attached stock proof fencing to my top wire to keep the marauding deer out and chicken wire around my hens' field to keep out the foxes etc. As said before - make sure you use braced straining posts.

Another tip - don't bang staples home to fasten your wire onto intermediate posts - obviously this will mean you can no longer tighten at a later date but also this will deform and weaken the wire.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back