PVR Dishcharge pipe on Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 7 years it has been brought to our attention by our boiler repair insurers, that the PVR Discharge pipe needs remedial work, otherwise they will void our policy.

It currently is on an external wall about 7 feet high and have been told it needs to be at floor level. Can the adaptation use plastic pipe or does it have to be copper?

Sponsored Links
Is it turned back to the wall? Ground level is best practise but as long as it's turned to the wall it's no problem. Can't use plastic but it's only a small job for a plumber to drop it in copper.

Sooey..... no, it just juts straight out.

dcawkwell.... I would but the heating is on the fritz and it'll cost to set up another policy elsewhere as I have a fault to fix. Ironically it the same engineer who reported 'pipe' and didn't fix problem and they won't come back til the remedial work is done, so I am pretty mad. Gonna walk as soon as they fix current problem though ;)

Sponsored Links
Sooey..... no, it just juts straight out.

dcawkwell.... I would but the heating is on the fritz and it'll cost to set up another policy elsewhere as I have a fault to fix. Ironically it the same engineer who reported 'pipe' and didn't fix problem and they won't come back til the remedial work is done, so I am pretty mad. Gonna walk as soon as they fix current problem though ;)

Typical sort of nonsense you get with these policies.
A discharge pipe most likely has absolutely nothing to do with any fault
you might have.

It should still be sorted out properly regardless, for safety's sake.

Taking pipe to ground level makes it liable to theft if in a public area. That is such a serious risk that its normal to use two street elbows to turn the pipe back on itself even at less than 2m agl.

It has always been normal practice to use the turnback at above 2m agl but it has been considered wrong to use it close to ground level. But better to have it turned back then broken off by vandals.

Whilst incorrect, it has absolutely nothing to do with boiler faults and the engineer is being "difficult" or lazy or both. Unfortunately the type of people who do that kind of work are often like that.

Why not tell us what your boiler fault is?

Tony

I think there was a tech bulletin a good while ago discouraging the use of two elbows because of possible freezing issues, since then I've always just used one elbow with about six inches of pipe bent back to the wall.

Thanks all.

Agile..... I did post n here the other day, but didn't get much response as to what the problem could be, only an instruction to the engineer. Here's the link. Incidentally, CH doesn't kick in at all now.

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/hot-water-ok-but-no-heating-help.391167/#3009026

Also, am I right in understanding that the problem isn't the height of the pipe, just that it doesn't turn in on itself? The pipe is on an external wall, but on side alleyway in our garden.

He seems to want it taken down to just above ground level which is the normal way.

You should always keep your posts on the same general topic within the same thread.

Tony

Noted.

There is a waste pipe anyway running along the ground. I will go directly into there - presuming that's okay.

No!

They have to be open at the end and terminate about 50-100 mm above the ground.

So that any discharge can be seen!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back